• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smokey & Jassie

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey guys,
I know we're all BD Lovers but I figured/hoped there would be a cat lover among us as well. Ive sort of "adopted" two strays that come almost everyday to eat and lounge around. One of them, Jassie, has some pretty bad ears. One of her ears is actually folded in half amd torn up pretty badly. The other isn't folded over, but it's still pretty bad. Ive tried a couple of different ointments on them and I can get them to start healing, but they itch her so bad that the next day, she tears them right back open.
My question to you guys is, do you have any idea(s) what I can do, put on them, or give her to help the itching so they can heal?
Im sure she needs to be seen by a vet but Im not too sure my boyfriend would let me pay to get a stray treated. Also, my boyfriend's son has gotten extremely attached to her and Im not sure how he would react if I took her and dropped her off at a vet's or a rescue. I don't want to do that to him when his dog just passed away last week.
Ive been doing everything I know of to help her, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The folded over ear:
688dd51d78f97db639c5ac0953b6eb56.jpg

b8205c25c8e78b0d6e2de768f95b9a36.jpg

eb46304d07beadd8482cb3156dfc6d85.jpg

The "better" ear:
10cd9c6f9c2236efb723c532e016641a.jpg

Jassie:
283905c3523367504b00ea5aca671af2.jpg

Jassie & Jerry

Smokey:
06ac09b556859bb6d91cd24251031d67.jpg

9c38e6fe231ee118be79cdd4ad7d930a.jpg

2ae5e63713026c5efc85321a0c9d7186.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor babies. It's amazing that they let you touch them for being strays. We had a few strays that would let me get close but one would never let me touch him.

Without taking them to a vet not sure what else to do. The one looks like it was in a fight and got the ear bit off! If he lets you get close to him, you could try a bearded dragon TX. Rinse the ear with sterile saline to get any gook off of it but be careful not to get any in the ear canal. Wipe down with with some diluted betadine and maybe use some Curad Silver Solution to protect the ear.

Be very careful that the cat doesn't bite you. Cat bites are serious especially if it's a stray that you don't know what they've been into. My house cat bit me once a few years ago when we were giving her a haircut and I didn't think anything of it and the next day I woke up and my hand was red and swollen. Had to get on some powerful antibiotics and get a tetanus shot! NOT FUN!

Kathryn Kinney

Juvenile Dragon
I don't how you can keep him from ripping it open. Sounds like they were someones pet and they probably moved away and left them. I would Keep it clean and with antibiotic ointment call a few vets and tell the situation and maybe they can work with you price wise.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They wouldn't let me touch them at first but Ive rescued quite a few strays and know how to work with them. Jas didnt trust me at first but she took to Jer right away and eventually I got her to trust me. Its a lot like beardies, they have to trust you first and you just have to keep going back and trying.
I did end up taking Jas in and getting her some Baytril for her ear. She ran off a bit ago but her ear looks a lot better. Must not itch as bad because she hasnt scratched it either.
Her cough/sneeze is clearing up as well. Yay! Vet Didnt want to use a cone since shes a stray, she was afraid she would get stuck somewhere or just pull it off.

Latest posts