• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smoke and dragons

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many of our members here and many owners all over smoke. I myself am a ex smoker. The problem most do not think about is its effects on your animals. Cigarette smoke is harmful to us we all know it but it is harmful 10 fold to a dragon due to the size of their very tiny lungs. If you smoke and own dragons you should always smoke as far away from where your dragon is housed as possible preferrably outside. Also, something most dont realize, but just the smoke residue that stays with you is harmful to your dragon. You should wash your hands thoroughly after you smoke. This will lower the liklyhood of you passing nicotine and other harmful chemicals contained in cig smoke to your dragon. You should also realize that not only is the odor that they can breathe in bad for them but also skin contact with nicotine. Though a dirty way to get nicotine there is enough in a cigarette to easily kill an animal the size of a beardie. Your fingers directly absorb nicotine as you smoke. If you then go directly (without sanitizing your hands) to holding your beardie, your beardie can absorb the nicotine on your fingers into its skin. Giving the possibility of this chemical being absorbed into the body. Nicotine is a upper or excellerent. It causes your heartrate to go up. Think of that effect on a teeny beardie.

So in conclusion you should never smoke near your beardie, you should allow your clothes to air out as much as possible before holding your dragon, and you should always thoroughly wash your hands after smoking to stave off the chance of transfering nicotine to your dragon.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good for you ! Now, alas I am a smoker, but all my babies are housed in a separate room and I always wash hands before handling !
Janie.

Latest posts