• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleepy

eliuly

Hatchling Dragon
I recently got a baby dragon. He is great, but also my first beardie. However I have a ton of reptile and invert experience.
But during (usually the day) he goes to sleep on you. Is this normal? I'm from michigan so its already super cold.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What's his tank set up? UVB light, basking temps, cool side temps? Sometimes they just want to sleep. Whenever I take mine out of their tanks my girl will walk around for a minute and then find a spot to go to sleep. My boy will run around the room for about 1/2 hour then find his spot. And if I put anything over their heads, like a blanket or pillow or sweater they instantly clothes their eyes. That's because they have a little "eye" on top of their head that senses light so when it gets covered they think it's night and time to sleep.

eliuly

Hatchling Dragon
What's his tank set up? UVB light, basking temps, cool side temps? Sometimes they just want to sleep. Whenever I take mine out of their tanks my girl will walk around for a minute and then find a spot to go to sleep. My boy will run around the room for about 1/2 hour then find his spot. And if I put anything over their heads, like a blanket or pillow or sweater they instantly clothes their eyes. That's because they have a little "eye" on top of their head that senses light so when it gets covered they think it's night and time to sleep.
He's a super baby so got him in a large sweater box. On coco substrate. Got hides, lights, uth, rheostat, and a temp gun. Some herps I have are really specific so I'm used to that. I got my info on a very good guide I can link.

I think it may be the dark. I got him at night and he seemed very chill. Now in the light of day he's a spaz.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't have experience with little ones like that. I know that when I got my boy he was very wild during the day and so I would hold him or pet him at night right before he went to sleep to get him used to me. It actually helped. A year later he is still kinda spazzy but we can actually hold him now.

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As long as the basking temp. Is 100- 110 and the cool side is between 80-90 during the day he should be fine. I have a baby and he falls asleep during the day all the time. I guess he's just relaxed. He never falls asleep on me... he just runs and jumps everywhere lol. That's why I've got my four year old for cuddling :D the night temp should be in the 70s. 65 should be about the lowest. You might want to consider using the felt for the bottom of the tank instead of substrate. The babies have horrible aim and could get a lot of it when trying to get a cricket and it could lead to impact :/ the felt is harder to clean, but worth it. If the basking temp is not between 100-110 they can't digest properly and this could also lead to impact. Let me know if you've got any other questions :)

Latest posts