• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleep Schedule

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Drogo's UVB/heat lamp is on a timer to be on for 12 hours of the day (7am - 7pm). Usually, when his light turns off, he goes in his cave shortly after to sleep. However, sometimes he has off days where he might sit and watch me in his hammock until I go to bed (around midnight) or he will sleep in an extra 4 or 5 hours the next morning and miss out on some of his basking time.

Like today, for example. He didn't come out of his cave until 2pm (instead of 7am). In a situation like this, should I keep his light on longer so he can get more time under his UVB? How important is it that override his timer on the days he 'sleeps in'? It makes sense that I would want to compensate for the basking time he's missed, but when is it necessary? If he misses 1 hour? more than 3 hours?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't mess with the Day\night schedule at all, don't be lengthening or shortening it. It appears that you &\or your activities are what is distracting him from his sleep for 5 hours. You could change his daylight schedule from 9-9 or something so it coincides more with yours.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
as a follow up (same day), he's been sitting on his magnetic rock ledge by his greens for the last 2 hours. So it is now 4pm and he's only gotten about 30min basking time under his UVB and his light is set to turn off in 3 hours.

I haven't been home all day so my activities should not be having any affect on him. I'm watching him from the webcam.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He knows what he needs, but apparently you are home & distracting him at night.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I distract him by watching tv and eating dinner at night from across the room and also when I'm not even home during the day? Interesting Germ...

Also, as I mentioned his routine is USUALLY like clockwork. It's only 1 day a week (if that) that he shows abnormal sleeping patterns. As for me, my routine is the same every day with the exception to staying up later on Friday and Saturday nights.

I will adjsut his timer to start later and run later though. This has its pros and cons but may be best in the long run.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I distract him by watching tv and eating dinner at night from across the room and also when I'm not even home during the day? Interesting Germ...
There is nothing interesting about it, I did not say anything about distracting him during the day at all, but for the 5 hours between 7 & midnight, having room lights, tv & you, that he has not seen all day, moving around, more activity after lights out, than throughout the majority of it's daylight hours, could very well be distracting him from sleep time.

Pat B

Super Moderator
What is interesting is that beardies seem to know what their needs are as long their environment is maintained by their owner. It amazes me that they eat when they want, poop when they need to, bask when they want to etc etc. I have my beardie in a room that isn't used much so his 'outside' environment is always the same if that makes sense. Light on at 7a and off at 7p....timers are great! I never vary, however, is eating schedule does vary....:rolleyes:
Just my 'thoughts' on how beardies like to be in 'control' of what they do and don't do.

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
I'd suggest wrapping a blanket around the tank at night so that the lights don't disturb him. That's what I do, leaving the top uncovered for ventilation, of course. The Liz goes to bed around 8:30-9pm and wakes up anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30. Today s/he was waiting on her basking rock for me to turn on the lights at 7:30 and I'm wondering how long she was up before I came out.... but, like the other replies said, they are pretty good at taking care of themselves if their husbandry is up to par

Latest posts