• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Site Suggestion

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering if it would be possible to add a chatroom to the site. I think it would be awsome if peeps could realtime chat with others. Its something i think would stand out from others sites drawing in new members. Just a thought

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your feedback, Brett.
I will look into a chatroom app. The biggest problems I foresee are additional strain on our server and also it may be a challenge to moderate a live chat room. Any ideas on how we could keep it family friendly?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good idea, Brett. I think the chatroom would definitely stand out & draw in more members. Josh, maybe add a couple more mods if it does do well but there is still the issue of additional strain on the server.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well its almost impossible to mod a live chat room unless you had it just setup for certain times when a moderator could be present. The problem with that is there goes easier communication. I don't have a clue on options or how chat room software is set up. I do know chat rooms like yahoo do have filters censoring swear words and such although there are many ways around that. Guess the only suggestion id have on keeping it friendly is first posting it on the forum rules and if possible, a way of reporting unappropriated chat. There is another issue, does the chat software document chat to prevent false reports? Sorry I'm not more help but the most high-tech I've gotten is building my site, so i don't know allot about site building. I just think it would make it allot easier for Q&A with real time chat and it would be a real plus for chat night allot more info and ideas could be addressed with more ease. So far there is only one thing i would like about this is that, all of you would find out just how bad of a speller i truly am without spell check but ill sacrifice myself for a cool chat room.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good idea Brett but the only drawback is the Q&A if everyone asked all there questions there then the rest of the forum would suffer there would be no way of looking up question’s people have . How does a chat room just for chat night sound it would be open for that but closed to posting for the remainder of the week it would be easy to moderate

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I understand, and ya that would be a good idea also. I bring this up for a cpl reason, I find allot of people that join forums are sleepers, they never post cuz there afraid of being belittled or feeling dumb. Open chat opens up a opportunity for someone to ask question without such a wide audience, and perhaps would ask more questions which is good for the beardies. In the past when i first got into Reefkeeping i joined a few forum and was cut down quite a bit cuz of my lack of knowledge, I learned most husbandry skills through pvt chat from forum members. Not saying this kinda thing happens here, everyone has been very warm and helpful but like everything in life diversity is key. Maybe do chat night and have a newbi chat for new members only. Anything that will draw peeps in but more importantly keep them here.​

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good point I have seen it happen on many forums and I hope it don"t start hear .One thing I try to do is check the new member list daily and say hello to all of them and try to make them feel welcome. I use to love going downtown to Florida Live Rock and hand picking my rocks for our saltwater tanks

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya that would be awesome to do, unfortunately it would be one heck of a roadtrip from ND.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
not read all the comments but i will say chat rooms do slow the server down and then people start asking Q's in chatroom and expect an instant answer - which actually stops people posting in forums.! Personally if you want to chat use the off topic area ( im sure there is one) or good old pm if you want a 1:1
Ive been on other forums that have the chat and not only is it a pain in the wotsit it can also cause problems and the team of admin/mods do have to control it so more work for them and im sure like forums im admin/mod on we are all here out of love in our free time and dont have the time to sit and "watch" if people are behaving. well thats my tuppence worth :)

Great Point!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya the more i think about it the more i have to agree. I did metntion to JeffO what about custom skins options for the whebsite I have them on a few of the saltwater forum i frequent, I know i like the darker skins seems easier on the eye to read.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think Josh is working on some new looks

Latest posts