• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Silk Back Beardies

How much do silk backs sell for?

• Total voters

Laura92

Bearded Dragon Egg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OOOOH! Gorgeous. While I am not a fan of silkies, those are beautiful. Congrats! Can't help you out with your questions though, as I am unfamiliar with them.

Laura92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats ok, thanks for your imput. Honestly neither do I, but for now they're so cute! They just look so funny.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
they need slightly lowed basking spot temps about 10%higher humidity around constant 40% if your not there already,lotioned weekly with non scented formula of some kind and about 2 inch farther from uvb without scales its absorbed vastly

also watch for retained sheds on the tails

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
also the one on the far left the bright hypo ill take her if you decide silkies are too much for you in a few months

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice looking dragons. I wouldn't raise humidity levels, can result in respiratory issues. Definitely adjust temps, use unscented lotion & carefully assist in sheds. Prices for these little guys vary. For breeders, they can pack a genetic punch that can be beneficial to a project but for the average hobbyist/collector, the care & attention can be overwhelming. Recently I have been seeing them priced lower but it really depends on the breeder & genetics.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Nice looking dragons. I wouldn't raise humidity levels, can result in respiratory issues. Definitely adjust temps, use unscented lotion & carefully assist in sheds. Prices for these little guys vary. For breeders, they can pack a genetic punch that can be beneficial to a project but for the average hobbyist/collector, the care & attention can be overwhelming. Recently I have been seeing them priced lower but it really depends on the breeder & genetics.
dont know exactly how much first hand experience that you have with them but they need higher humidity or atleast a stable one thats the normal 40% ive worked with one of the original breeders of the silkbacks plenty of times about these dragons
r.i issues are never in the range around 45-50% anything higher than that is a cause for concern my tanks are 38% everynight
current humidity 60% average people take way to much information from books rather than the place of origin(australia 35-75%)

as for the price on silks its all of genetics like jp mentioned ive seen some go 120 and some go 350 the high end super reds the ones you have are about 150-200 for that one i had wanted maybe lower if genetics cant be provided because the risk i have to take on it or anyone for that matter

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think a genetic disorder that affects a dragons skin heightens it's tolerance for moisture in the air for long periods of time. If lotion & baths are provided for hydration, (like you recommended) there is no need for elevated humidity levels.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Place of origin, Australia 35%-75% is more than likely annual percentages at more than one location that change daily. Dragons DNA is coded for a lack of moisture, it shows in their diet & the spiked skin they are commonly known for.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the silkbacks are a genetic freak they dont tolerate the same "abuse" that normals will ive seen the issues with low humidity and people who try to get away with what your saying and they end up with no tails because the retained shed cuts circulation off regular beardies are supose to be at 35% if you were to keep it there with bathing and lotion you would probly be okay but i wouldent exactly reccomend it i dont think ive seen a thread anywhere yet about having r.i with higher humidity silkbacks probly because no research is done and they all pass away within the first year sadly

i love the idea alot but as a breeder i think they can ruin a business because people strictly abuse them like normals and think its okay i know someone who refuses to even post silkbacks because of this issue they just give them away for customers who know what there doing most times

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
silverado said:
i love the idea alot but as a breeder i think they can ruin a business because people strictly abuse them like normals and think its okay i know someone who refuses to even post silkbacks because of this issue they just give them away for customers who know what there doing most times[/uqote]
Gootta love the statement !!!
icon_thumright-1.gif
Some possible

Being unknown, sounds right to me. More than I know.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Gootta love the statement !!!
icon_thumright-1.gif
Some possible

Being unknown, sounds right to me. More than I know.
yeah its sad if you think about it there losing thousands(not that they arent loading in piles of cash)but thats not to say they wouldent have about 2k more if they actually sold them...

Laura92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone! This information is really helpfull, I went out and bought the lotion as soon as I heard! Cant wait to put it on them lol. Its funny she laid 16 eggs and they are half silkies and half leather. My problem with the money is that I dont want to charge too little and people will get one cause their so cheap and not really take care of it. If I had the space I would be keeping the majority of them, I dont mind the cost of crickets or lights. For genetics I would problly have to contact the people I got them from..... which was a reptile show .... over two years ago. But I can try!

One more thing! She laid her 2nd clutch 44 days after her first but this one is 14 eggs. Is that ok? I thought she would have more not less.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A little off topic, but this is one of my friend's silkie...he bought 3 when they were hot, only to have the market on these guys crash...

And I can't get the pic to upload :mad:

I'll post him later.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the market crashed because people got lazy for the most part
i had the same concerns about the dunner market crashing very very quickly well see where that goes

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks everyone! This information is really helpfull, I went out and bought the lotion as soon as I heard! Cant wait to put it on them lol. Its funny she laid 16 eggs and they are half silkies and half leather. My problem with the money is that I dont want to charge too little and people will get one cause their so cheap and not really take care of it. If I had the space I would be keeping the majority of them, I dont mind the cost of crickets or lights. For genetics I would problly have to contact the people I got them from..... which was a reptile show .... over two years ago. But I can try!

One more thing! She laid her 2nd clutch 44 days after her first but this one is 14 eggs. Is that ok? I thought she would have more not less.
I've only had one double clutch and it was the same amount as the first, not more. I don't think it's an issue. Hers was almost a full month later. Sorry to wait so long, thought maybe someone with more experience in breeding would be able to answer you.

Latest posts