• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding advice

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey Everyone!

So the dragon is starting to show signs of shedding, his behavior is a little funny and it looks like he's scratching himself on stuff.
Is it good to give him a soak every day to help with his shedding? Or just intermittently? He just seems to be in some discomfort, any advice is appreciated!

Thank you
Shane C

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You don't want to give too many baths. When my dragon was young, the vet recomended every other day while he is actively shedding (no more than a week). That was recommended becuase my dragons skin cut off the blood flow to the tip of his tail. Now that he is older, I use on de-shedding mist I spray on him occassionally.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Everyone!

So the dragon is starting to show signs of shedding, his behavior is a little funny and it looks like he's scratching himself on stuff.
Is it good to give him a soak every day to help with his shedding? Or just intermittently? He just seems to be in some discomfort, any advice is appreciated!

Thank you
Shane C
Its good he has decor to rub himself on -- when the scales become crackly and dry spray him w/ a bottle and then take a baby soft toothbrush and gently brush him that will take the loose stuff off

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
You don't want to give too many baths. When my dragon was young, the vet recomended every other day while he is actively shedding (no more than a week). That was recommended becuase my dragons skin cut off the blood flow to the tip of his tail. Now that he is older, I use on de-shedding mist I spray on him occassionally.
I have a 8-9 month old female. She went from about 9 inches when we first got her to 17 inches in four months and had two full sheds, but hasn't shed fully in 6 weeks. Her head shed. Her skin has seemed really dry. I only bath her once a week to 10 days. Should I be concerned? She is a very healthy and happy lizard otherwise. She has started digging and hiding in the past two weeks, but she still snuggles and acts normal.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 8-9 month old female. She went from about 9 inches when we first got her to 17 inches in four months and had two full sheds, but hasn't shed fully in 6 weeks. Her head shed. Her skin has seemed really dry. I only bath her once a week to 10 days. Should I be concerned? She is a very healthy and happy lizard otherwise. She has started digging and hiding in the past two weeks, but she still snuggles and acts normal.
I would cut back on bathing- too many will dry the scales out- dragons shed in spurts and different areas- as they get older the shedding slows down- dragons grow till they are 2

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
I would cut back on bathing- too many will dry the scales out- dragons shed in spurts and different areas- as they get older the shedding slows down- dragons grow till they are 2
Thanks for your reply. Now I have another problem. I had her out Saturday morning when I fed her. We played a little and I put her back. She crawled under her little hide hole, dug around a little and hasn't come out since Saturday lunch time. It's Monday afternoon and I just removed her hide spot to look at her. She is about as healthy looking as can be. Until now she has been happy and healthy. I look for all the bad signs, but her skin, legs(under and arm pits) and can see nothing wrong. She had.a.nice B.M. before she hid. I've heard of (?) brumation,but don't quite understand it. Her basking temperature is around 98-101. Right now she is laying where she was when I got the lid she hides under looking at me like I've invaded her privacy. She hasn't ate since this started. I just changed her greens for fresh. Should I recover her and let her work it out? Go to vet? I'm 71yrs old and on S.S.. So I don't want to spend $ if it's not necessary, but will if needed. I love my lizard!! I got her cause my 8yr old grandson got it for his b-day, but she wasn't exciting nuff for him. Mango and I bonded right off. Perfect pet for my lifestyle. We both have about the same life span as well. Thanks for any advice.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your reply. Now I have another problem. I had her out Saturday morning when I fed her. We played a little and I put her back. She crawled under her little hide hole, dug around a little and hasn't come out since Saturday lunch time. It's Monday afternoon and I just removed her hide spot to look at her. She is about as healthy looking as can be. Until now she has been happy and healthy. I look for all the bad signs, but her skin, legs(under and arm pits) and can see nothing wrong. She had.a.nice B.M. before she hid. I've heard of (?) brumation,but don't quite understand it. Her basking temperature is around 98-101. Right now she is laying where she was when I got the lid she hides under looking at me like I've invaded her privacy. She hasn't ate since this started. I just changed her greens for fresh. Should I recover her and let her work it out? Go to vet? I'm 71yrs old and on S.S.. So I don't want to spend $ if it's not necessary, but will if needed. I love my lizard!! I got her cause my 8yr old grandson got it for his b-day, but she wasn't exciting nuff for him. Mango and I bonded right off. Perfect pet for my lifestyle. We both have about the same life span as well. Thanks for any advice.
Shes acting normal and yes they start to go into brumation around this time of year -- as long as your UVB is a long tube fixture placed correctly for the tank/screen and not expired and your getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-- I am posting a link for brumation to give you some info on it -- please look at it and if you have more questions please post them -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
I would get a weight on her now and keep track of it on a kitchen food scale - weigh in grams - dragons should not brumate for longer than 3 months - they will go into a deep sleep - it is good to pull them out every 2-3 weeks to check weight and offer water - some can semi brumate meaning they will go in and sleep for 2 weeks and then reappear to bask / eat etc-- mine usually does this- he has never fully gone into full brumation -

Latest posts