• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Blaptica Dubia Roaches

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Found some interesting pictures and info for sexing Dubias. I know this is a horse beaten to a pulp but it never hurts to add more pictures with info. Here we go:

Here is how to determine the gender of medium to large Blaptica dubia roach nymphs. Typically you are only able to tell males and females once they go through their final molt and are actually adults. They will look like this (female on left and male on right)...
IMG_52221000x667.jpg

Well, if you flip them over, you will notice that the males have an extra segment to their abdomen. Notice the extra little "bud" like tip? It's another split to the last segment that the females don't exhibit. It is very apparent to the naked eye, and the use of an additional lens isn't needed.

Male:
IMG_78151000x667.jpg

Female:
IMG_78171000x667.jpg

If you look at larger nymphs...I'm talking the 1/2 inch (1.5cm) to about 3/4 inch (2cm) size nymphs and larger...you can see the same extra segment and easily distinguish the males. Also, if you look at the two pictured below, you can also see the beginnings of 2 pairs of wings to the more anterior segments. This one is the male. It also has a more elongate shape and isn't quite as wide in proportion to it's length as a female would be.
IMG_78001000x667.jpg

Here are the ventral shots of the same medium sized nymphs:
IMG_78081000x667.jpg

Female first:
IMG_77941000x667-1.jpg

Male next:
IMG_77971000x667.jpg

You see, it's fairly easy to tell which is male and which is female. I have tested this out and grown out the nymphs to find that it holds true. I haven't looked at very small nymphs to tell gender so I don't know how small you can accurately sex them.

Here are a couple more to look at for comparison...

Male
IMG_78041000x667.jpg

Female
IMG_78101000x667.jpg

Male
IMG_78131000x667.jpg

Yes this is Pirated from another site. Thought I would bring it here to our community. I was impressed with the pictures. No pun attended. Do I need to add or take away from this?

Latest posts