• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

S.W. Louisiana

Coonash

Bearded Dragon Egg
Brand new to these cool looking creatures. So I've got a lot to learn/research.
I just drained my 75 gallon aquarium that had live plants so I'd like to build a enviroment with live plants.
Like I said, lots of research ahead. I'm not in a hurry to by my Dragon because I want to make sure his living area is right first.
Ash

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Ash!
Welcome to the Forum! I hope you find all the information that you seek here! Good work on coming here first and then making the purchase! :) I'm here to help

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BDF Community, Coonash! Actually I'm originally from Southern Louisana and you aint foolin me..lol...I know the proper spelling of that screen-name cause I've been referred to as one many times...lol:D Anyhow here are some excellent links to get you started and help you get things set-up right before you get your dragon. If you have any more questions after reading through the info don't be shy about asking...The BDF Community is slam-packed with experienced and enthusiastic "Beardie Folk" eager to help:)
Enjoy!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2.jpg

Buddha you forgot to post the links ;):) - lol. Here they are ;) .

A few good links to help get you started ...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
lol...Thanks Germ for catching that...I had Mungi sitting here with me and got distracted when the lil varmit decided to leap off my chair and go say "Hello"... to our 134 lb German Shepard:eek: ...smh...Roscoe was not impressed, looked at Mungi, huffed and just rolled over and went back to sleep...lol:D Gotta love the Fearless Dragon On The Mend and Roscoe too for being the critter tolerant teddybear he is too!

Coonash

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is some terrific info, that you so much. I am cetainly flad I came here first because I was about to start with play sand as a substrate. I guess I'll check for some tiles/vinyl to start then move of to washed play sand when it's long enough. I actually used washed sand for my fish tank also.
My big question is live plants. Is it possible that I can use cactus when I switch to sand?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Over the years, I have seen many attempt a live plant Viv, only to very quickly change their perspective. This is an enclosed environment, BDs like to dig ... Those that have tried, quickly found their BD constantly uprooting the plants, which most can not growth in a sand substrate, so when they start chewing on roots & such, the attached dirt poses a high impaction risk, along with just the risk of having the potting soil in the enclosure.. They also found that the plants raised the humidity to unwanted levels.

Setting up a live plant Viv is only for the benefit of the keeper, serves absolutely no benefits to the BDs & the possible detrimental repercussions can be devastating. In my personal opinion, plants, live or fake pose hazardous 'Cons', which far outweigh any 'Pros', because there are none.

Just my $.02 on the subject ;) .

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and I know I've been a bit late in my greetings. I've been here, there, everywhere. :)

Latest posts