• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Running Low on Greens

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For the first time this month, I've found myself at a conundrum. (SP?) I'm running real low on greens and it's the first time I've been faced with this dilemma...I've got back up in place of greens, but I'm trying to figure out how to stretch what I've got left.

I've got a few leaves of turnip greens left and a whole container of bearded dragon maintenance food pellets for adults ready to use. (I'm usually running low on crickets, but this time, greens.)

Is it all right to serve a leaf of green and more of these pellets to make up for the lost greens? She eats large because she's in growth spurt now to 18-19''? Or feed her extra crickets, gutloaded with the pellets instead of greens. (I've given them moistened pellets and they ate them all up.)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: Noella; Do you have any can green beans?? They will do in an emergencey-rinsed well of course or grated carrott grated very fine but not as a staple. I use it in a pinch but mostly use fresh but emergencey's do come up and it helps till you can get to the store for fresh. River-7

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't have regular green beans. (I've got italian green beans and lima beans. No carrots. I used them all for a stew which didn't come out right.) I've got a bunch of turnip greens growing in the refrigerator. I don't think I can use the turnip if it's got greens growing on top of it. Which reminds me, I've got to check on it to see how's it's doing.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What do you have in can?? I would not use itilian as they have seasoning in them and i am not sure re; lima beans-what else have you got=Squash?From the turnips it is the greens you want-but wait for Germ; re; growing in the fridge-i am not quite sure if that is safe for your baby.Check the diet section and look for green items or black items but remember black items are only occasional feeders. And green can be used everyday. Remember they like a staple diet ie; collards ect; but in a pinch green or black-how long are we talking about here?? Noella; I would not feed ima beans as i just checked and they have them but no reports on them.Best is to wait for GERM; RE; Turnips greens in fridge. Bella-aka-river

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Noella; I would just feed the green items that you have for now and check the black items in case you don't have all the green ones and squash can be fed as well all kinds of them. I use them as a treat with green beans and grate the squash very fine with a grater and you should be ok for a few days. My guys love squash and green beans as a little treat every couple of weeks lol. But i find they like their staple veggies ie; collards, dandelion, mustard green every day.But in a pinch just feed the black items and as much greens as you have-more greens i would say-Hope it helps you a little Noella;bella-aka-river.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Something you might concider when shopping is mixed frozen veggies[no seasoning] to have on hand in case of running out of veggies[fresh] frozen are good and they are froze fresh.I use it for my birds in the winter and i have used it for the beardies like today they had it as the weather is very mucky on the roads and i won't be shopping today for beardie veggs so it will do for today.I buy the frozen mixed veggs and take out a lot of the corn-they don't like it anyway and they have that as their veggs for today.And sometimes come winter around here you can't get mustard greens no where so i have to think a little a head for birds and beardies ie; frozen.I always keep a big bag of them in the freezer-When they come on sale i buy 6-bags as they don't go to waste in the winter months. So often the store where i buy fresh veggs is out of mustard greens or just don't have them. So an option is something else.Mustards greens are hard for us to get here even in summer months.I only use pellets about 1-time for the month just to get them use to it , in case of emergencey-then it won't be strange to them. They do eat some and like it-but only 1-time for a month, and i buy the coloured ones. [But they do not take the place of veggies.]-And of course i feed the occasional worm as a treat.Fruits i don't use too often maybe once a month and again very little and a treat as it makes a lot of poops from the babies.Well Noella; hope my book here helps you some Have a great day-Bella-aka-river

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's okay with her greens now. She loves lima beans, but I don't give them to her much to eat. I'll give them to her once or twice a year.

Sweet peas are a hit along with green beans rinsed well in cool water.

Latest posts