• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roaches

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
So I ordered 100 small roaches for $20 off of LLL Reptile. For medium ones you pay $20 and only get 50. I'm just wondering what size to get to get the most bang for my buck, but also making sure they aren't too big. Small a are smaller than a dime (100 for $20), medium about penny size (50 for $20), large are Nicole size (50 for $23), and jumbo are quarter size (25 for $23). Sosa is now 7 inches long (grew an inch in less than 2 weeks!) and is about 4-5 months old now.
Just trying to figure out how to save money but also feed him right. And maybe if anyone knows cheaper sites to get roaches, I'm open to suggestions.
Also, off topic: his nose is starting to turn grey, that just means he's shedding right?

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
Hey,
As far as I've been taught just make sure the roach can fit between the space Sosas eyes. As far as Sosa's nose just snap a pic and someone with more experience will chime in

Lasen72

Juvenile Dragon
The small will be fine for your beardie. I prefer to feed smaller roaches or crickets to mine but he can eat the bigger ones. I just don't like to get the larger ones because I feed them to my chameleon also. I've gotta believe, going off of when you got your dragon, that you could get away with feeding him the small or medium. I just ordered a bunch of small myself, so if they grow to medium, it'll still be a good size for either my dragon or chameleon.

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
I just want to get the best deal. Like does it seem more logical to just get 100 small ones?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would highly suggest getting in contact with Brandon a member here. He goes by Sixofwandstattoo he will set you up with a tremendous deal for roaches..

I will get back to you on sizes that are best but need to run an errand... size between the eyes is right but the thing about roaches is they are edible at all sizes as their shell is pretty soft especially the nymphs and juv's ...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I'm back.. how big is Sosa now? He should be able to do a small to med juv roach.. without any problem they do not have hard shells at that size and they (Sosa) will do just fine at chewing them as they do have teeth to bite..
If you go to the For sale section and then look for I have Dubia Roaches for sale his member name is Sixofwandstattoo send him a message and let me know if you don't get a response right away as he doesn't get online very often... I have his email.. I've gotten 2 shipments from him for 20 bucks plus shipping so about 30 and last time he gave me about 500 different sizes..
Your best bet is to start raising them sorry if we've talked about it before memory sucks right now..

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
What do you think about the grey nose situation? I'll be waking him up shortly and I'll take a picture

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What do you think about the grey nose situation? I'll be waking him up shortly and I'll take a picture
without seeing it I bet he's starting to shed..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh goodness, 500 is quite a bit and I don't have the housing for them!
You can get whatever amount you want.. If you start a colony you have to leave them alone for min 6-8 weeks to let them settle to start producing.. so having enough to feed him without taking from your colony you get extras... I have 2 30 gal tubs 1 is my colony the other is my feed off tub and where I put the baby nymphs that are produced so they grow out and I think I've got about 500-1000 roaches :) they don't take up that much space at all.

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
That so many... [emoji28] I don't know if I'm comfortable with that many roaches nor do I have room for another tank in my apartment
But I found Brandon and sent him a message.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That so many... [emoji28] I don't know if I'm comfortable with that many roaches nor do I have room for another tank in my apartment
But I found Brandon and sent him a message.
lol I hear ya it took me awhile to be ok with them they really still do creep me out but wow talk about nutritious and super easy to gut load... and OMG way better than crickets in all ways..

let me know if he doesn't get back to you.. I may just send him an email letting him know you are looking for some.. that way he will get online sooner..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I sent an email to him for him to check the forum..

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
Yes I don't like crickets now after I had roaches. Roaches are so easy! And when they're small they aren't too scary. Here's a picture of Sosa for my shedding question
6093191541cf0f23fed3149182f994f7.jpg

Latest posts