• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red lights?

AmyMW

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’m a new Beardie owner and I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing... I bought a Zoo Med bearded dragon terrarium kit at PetSmart and it came with a dual heat lamp with two bulbs; one day and one night. The night bulb is red. I’m hearing this is bad for them??? I’m tight on money and so I’m a bit stressed about what fixing this will cost/annoyed that I spent $200 on a worthless kit... what do I do now?

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Some say that the red light is not good because the animal can see (just like we can) and that it makes objects or substrate look edible. About the dual fixture, I prefer two separate fixtures because then I can place them in different areas for better coverage.

AmyMW

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some say that the red light is not good because the animal can see (just like we can) and that it makes objects or substrate look edible. About the dual fixture, I prefer two separate fixtures because then I can place them in different areas for better coverage.
So is it alright for the time being? He’s only in a 20 gallon so of course I am going to upgrade him when he’s bigger and I could always get new lights then. What kinds of lights do you all recommend and how do you go about setting everything up? I want to give him the best home set up possible but I have absolutely no idea what to purchase.
Attached is his current set up... I don’t have a heat mat or anything in there, just the dual light.
Also, is it okay that he always sleeps in the cool side? He always slept on his hammock so I moved it to the warm side and at bedtime he jumped off and went to sleep on top of his rock on the cool side...

Attachments

• A30262CD-E73E-4D36-AF0D-373403B28D40.jpeg
    A30262CD-E73E-4D36-AF0D-373403B28D40.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 16

CiriTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
So is it alright for the time being? He’s only in a 20 gallon so of course I am going to upgrade him when he’s bigger and I could always get new lights then. What kinds of lights do you all recommend and how do you go about setting everything up? I want to give him the best home set up possible but I have absolutely no idea what to purchase.
Attached is his current set up... I don’t have a heat mat or anything in there, just the dual light.
Also, is it okay that he always sleeps in the cool side? He always slept on his hammock so I moved it to the warm side and at bedtime he jumped off and went to sleep on top of his rock on the cool side...
The dual fixture is fine, I just wouldn't use the red light at all, just remove that bulb? The red light can be disturbing for them. Some bearded dragons will only sleep with complete darkness. As long as the temps don't drop below 70 degrees at night, you don't need a heat source at night. If you have a really cold house, an AC, etc. and the temps are dropping below 70 in the tank, I would recommend just getting a ceramic heat emitter for night time. They aren't too expensive.

N W

Juvenile Dragon
It looks like you have a hood uvb fixture? Try and get the uvb light into the basking area so he can get both at once. I also recommend beardeddragon.org for helping make sense of what you need.