• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red/brown stuff on mouth?

Pencils

Bearded Dragon Egg
My daughter has had a baby beardie for about two months. He seems healthy, but he just shed off his head a few days ago and now his lips--just in the front--are a reddish brown in a narrow band. There's no bad smell, the inside of his mouth is clean, his tongue is fine, but he does seem to be licking his lips a lot (or so she tells me.) He's running around a lot, his tank is clean and large, at a good temperature, he's eating well...I'd take him to the vet but I'm high risk for infection and here in NY we're trying to stay in the house. I can take pictures if necessary.

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Take a picture of him. Has he eaten something that is the same color recently? Like a strawberry? It may be crusty, it happens with some beardies. Since you said there is no bad smell, I don't think it's mouth rot. So try some warm water on a cotton ball or swab, and gently rub it on his lips. Update if anything gets worse.

Pencils

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry, the pictures are taking forever to upload. Everyone in the neighborhood must be on the internet! His lips are much darker in person than in the picture. He hasn't had any strawberries or anything recently. He doesn't like them. He likes blueberries but the kid is being careful with giving him too much fruit. Maybe he's just chapped and licking them too much, but is there a reason for that? Is he thirsty? sorry, I just have an upset eleven-year-old that adores her baby beardie.

Attachments

• 20200427_164349.jpg
    20200427_164349.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 248

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
That's the crustiness. It must be getting more chap since he keeps licking it. Try researching some safe ointment to rub on it. Make sure he has filtered water.

Pencils

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks, she did manage to get it off Ares with some warm water, and I encouraged her to keep water in his tank at all times. Apparently he wasn't interested in it before, so today she put him in it, and he suddenly seemed like "this is the best stuff EVER!!" So maybe he was a bit dehydrated. Also, since he doesn't like his greens we decided to try some new stuff--he's already had kale, escarole and collard greens and didn't like 'em much. But apparently he likes dandelion greens, which is highly convenient as my yard has lots. I have an organic yard so it's not a problem, but I washed it thoroughly anyway. Last year a ring-necked snake laid eggs in my yard (found baby snakes), so I know it's pretty healthy for wildlife. That's in addition to the regular garter snakes that live here. So thanks very much, we'll see how it goes.

Latest posts