• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendations on my almost 9 year old boy!

Taylorkay3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, new here and have a couple questions. I hope someone can help. My bearded dragon is eight years old will be nine the end of August in October I went to get blood work because he was having little random tremors. They told me it was a phosphorus deficiency. I have blood work results so my doctor told me to put him on 2:1 phosphorus calcium powder I use fluckers. I’ve had him his whole life and he never had any problems until a couple months ago. I would say a couple weeks before I took him to the vet. I noticed that the first time so I’ve had him on the supple lament I took him to get bloodwork on Friday, his calcium was high when I took him the first time now his calcium and his phosphorus are low so it hasn’t gotten any better with the phosphorus and his calcium dropped. I do dust his food every day now that he’s getting older, he doesn’t eat as much, so if he doesn’t eat worms that day, I will supplement Either chicken baby food or a fruit or vegetable baby food with the powder just so that he can get the supplement every day. my doctor told me to get liquid calcium and phosphorus together and give him 0.2 every day of the liquid plus still dusting the food. The only liquid I can find is a human supplement for calcium and phosphorus. I don’t know if that’s safe or if there’s something you guys can recommend also! It’s Sonnes Calphonite is the human supliment. Anything helps. Thank you!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, new here and have a couple questions. I hope someone can help. My bearded dragon is eight years old will be nine the end of August in October I went to get blood work because he was having little random tremors. They told me it was a phosphorus deficiency. I have blood work results so my doctor told me to put him on 2:1 phosphorus calcium powder I use fluckers. I’ve had him his whole life and he never had any problems until a couple months ago. I would say a couple weeks before I took him to the vet. I noticed that the first time so I’ve had him on the supple lament I took him to get bloodwork on Friday, his calcium was high when I took him the first time now his calcium and his phosphorus are low so it hasn’t gotten any better with the phosphorus and his calcium dropped. I do dust his food every day now that he’s getting older, he doesn’t eat as much, so if he doesn’t eat worms that day, I will supplement Either chicken baby food or a fruit or vegetable baby food with the powder just so that he can get the supplement every day. my doctor told me to get liquid calcium and phosphorus together and give him 0.2 every day of the liquid plus still dusting the food. The only liquid I can find is a human supplement for calcium and phosphorus. I don’t know if that’s safe or if there’s something you guys can recommend also! It’s Sonnes Calphonite is the human supliment. Anything helps. Thank you!!!
I am flagging your post to Tracie our vet tech on the board -- shes very helpful
@Drache613

Taylorkay3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Blood work from last Friday! 3/01

Attachments

• IMG_4501.png
    IMG_4501.png
    517.7 KB · Views: 12

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
I looked over the blood tests. The calcium levels are pretty low & the phosphorus levels are low also.
Ideally, the calcium to phosphorus ratios should be at a 2:1 or a 3:1 meaning the calcium levels should
be 2 to 3 times the levels of phosphorus levels.
The Uric acid levels are very low. The levels should be around 3-4mg/dl. He could be dehydrated or
simply have a mineral or vitamin deficiency. Usually B vitamins or thiamin more specifically can cause
neurological issues, too if they are too low.
The AST or liver enzymes are well within range so that is positivie news. The glucose levels are good
also. I don't think that there are any major health issues going on, other than some vitamin or mineral
deficiencies. You should be able to get them corrected eventually.
Are you still needing a liquid calcium supplement? I have a really good liquid calcium supplement for
reptiles. Here is a link if you want to try it :

This is a regular calcium:

This is a little stronger calcium formula:

Keep giving the chicken or turkey baby food, because it does have some phosphorus in it. Most
insects seem to be naturally high in phosphorus levels. For his age, he can still have protein, so
try to encourage him as much as you can to eat some insects, too.
Remind me, what UVB type & brand are you using currently?

Tracie

Taylorkay3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
I looked over the blood tests. The calcium levels are pretty low & the phosphorus levels are low also.
Ideally, the calcium to phosphorus ratios should be at a 2:1 or a 3:1 meaning the calcium levels should
be 2 to 3 times the levels of phosphorus levels.
The Uric acid levels are very low. The levels should be around 3-4mg/dl. He could be dehydrated or
simply have a mineral or vitamin deficiency. Usually B vitamins or thiamin more specifically can cause
neurological issues, too if they are too low.
The AST or liver enzymes are well within range so that is positivie news. The glucose levels are good
also. I don't think that there are any major health issues going on, other than some vitamin or mineral
deficiencies. You should be able to get them corrected eventually.
Are you still needing a liquid calcium supplement? I have a really good liquid calcium supplement for
reptiles. Here is a link if you want to try it :

This is a regular calcium:

This is a little stronger calcium formula:

Keep giving the chicken or turkey baby food, because it does have some phosphorus in it. Most
insects seem to be naturally high in phosphorus levels. For his age, he can still have protein, so
try to encourage him as much as you can to eat some insects, too.
Remind me, what UVB type & brand are you using currently?

Tracie
I spoke with my vet today and he recommended the Sonnes calcium/phosphorus at .25 ml so I just wanted to make sure he said that was good, I use a reptisun 10.0 and he’s usually like 4-6 worms one day then only 1 some days none so I’ll give the baby food but I only do baby food if I try multiple times and he doesn’t eat so then I do the baby food. Vet told me to still use 2:1 calcium phosphorus and the liquid calphonite at .25ml also everyday and then blood work in 3 months. When I took him in October just his phosphorus was low so I put him on 2:1 flukers and then now both are low and it’s confusing me bc idk why the calcium would have dropped

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Ok, so did they dose the calcium for your dragon's weight for the liquid calcium?
How is his appetite doing?
If you are using the powdered calcium then I wouldn't overdo it on the liquid calcium just so he
doesn't get too overloaded.
Keep in mind that the baby foods tend to be a little higher in phosphorus so you can continue to
give him those foods for awhile.
Do you have updated pictures you could post?

Tracie

Latest posts