• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Really need some advice

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is 10/11 months old and for the past two months has been acting strangely and I’m at my wits end now.

She hides loads, isn’t very active, sleeps lots during the day and has a decreased appetite > toilets less. She will run about outside her viv fine most of the time, which is a bit confusing.

She’s fed a variety of veg, Dubia roaches and the occasional wax worm or silk worm, dusted daily with calcium and weekly with vitamins.

I’ve recently changed her UV incase it wasn’t working right, I’ve tried lowering and increasing her temps and have been giving her warm baths. I had a faecal test done that was normal and all the vet said was that she looked slightly de-hydrated, so I’ve been wetting her veg (she won’t drink from bowl, syringe or bath). Unfortunately the vet is the only one I can get to just now and I didn’t think he was very thorough, so I’m reluctant to give him another £50 for a consultation.

So I’ve tried everything I can think of with no improvements and I’m getting more and more worried about what could be wrong. I’m fairly confident in my set up and I give her the best quality of everything as much as I can.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what to try or what could be wrong, or have beardies that have been through similar?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
What UVB bulb are you using? They hide away if there is too much UVB or not enough UVB.

What is the temperature of your basking spot? Cool side of the cage? Post pics so we can see what we are working with here :)

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
The bulb is an Arcadia UVB+ D3 T8 12%. It’s the same bulb I’ve always used, just a new one incase the old one had ran out of life. She was fine with it before but I guess maybe their preferences change?

Right now her basking spot is 95. If I put it up to 100 or higher she seems to hide even more and lower and she turns really dark (although she’s quite dark rn anyway most days.

thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• 129F3466-EC73-4912-9437-21CF62C1DA6B.jpeg
    129F3466-EC73-4912-9437-21CF62C1DA6B.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 8D4485A6-B518-45E4-B7DC-FD0B46AE75CE.jpeg
    8D4485A6-B518-45E4-B7DC-FD0B46AE75CE.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2E9B68C5-6EA7-4198-956F-449FDED19195.jpeg
    2E9B68C5-6EA7-4198-956F-449FDED19195.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 14
  • 7750A72A-02ED-46A3-9035-2F47478E4EFE.jpeg
    7750A72A-02ED-46A3-9035-2F47478E4EFE.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 15

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Your dragon may be brumating - if you don’t know much about this do a little research so you can make sure they have the care they need. Also, if you haven’t already, weigh them and then keep an eye on their weight - if they are brumating they shouldn’t be losing much weight - x

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much for your reply. This is one of the things I’ve been worried about even before I got her and was doing my research. The thing is, everywhere I’ve looked have said that if they are under a year they don’t normally go into brumation and that if they do you should prevent it since it can be dangerous.
I’ll have more of a read about it and weigh her today.
thanks so much.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks so much for your reply. This is one of the things I’ve been worried about even before I got her and was doing my research. The thing is, everywhere I’ve looked have said that if they are under a year they don’t normally go into brumation and that if they do you should prevent it since it can be dangerous.
I’ll have more of a read about it and weigh her today.
thanks so much.
I haven’t read too much about brumation myself as my beardie is 6/7 months old so I don’t have to worry just yet. But I think they can brumate from as early as 10 months - it’s worth reading up on a bit more and as I say, keep an eye on weight to make sure they are not losing much! Keep us posted if there’s any change or more Q’s!

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok thank you again that’s helpful. I’ll have another read around and see what I can find out x

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Just exactly the same, her appetite is maybe a tiny bit improved, but otherwise still hiding a lot, lethargic (or at least sleeping loads) etc
Everything you described sounds like brumation, but i dont know if a yearling dragon should/could go into it? What wattage is the heat bulb? And how cold would you say it gets in ur house at night? You might want a che, if ur house is under 70, keep track of weight like others have said, i hope ur

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I had kept reading that beardies less than a year shouldn’t be allowed to brumate, I’ve only found one source that’s said otherwise and I’m not sure how reliable it will be. On most forums etc people usually say 12/18 months minimum too, so it’s difficult to know what to do.

The bulbs for heat I use are 75W intense heat basking bulbs in a ceramic fitting. Any higher and my surface temps are getting above 110 and because it’s a shelf built into the tank, it’s not easy to raise or lower.

I’ve been keeping my heating on over night in the room she’s in so it doesn’t get that cold but I’ll make sure I check again. Thanks a lot.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I had kept reading that beardies less than a year shouldn’t be allowed to brumate, I’ve only found one source that’s said otherwise and I’m not sure how reliable it will be. On most forums etc people usually say 12/18 months minimum too, so it’s difficult to know what to do.

The bulbs for heat I use are 75W intense heat basking bulbs in a ceramic fitting. Any higher and my surface temps are getting above 110 and because it’s a shelf built into the tank, it’s not easy to raise or lower.

I’ve been keeping my heating on over night in the room she’s in so it doesn’t get that cold but I’ll make sure I check again. Thanks a lot.
Hey if it helps my beardie started brumating when he was 10 months too. That was in October and while he’s still brumating he’s doing very well. I’ve checked with my vet and they said it’s fine too if you’d like you can do the same on your end and check with a vet. Just because our beardies are younger I tend to take him out every 3 days or so and make sure he has a feeding of some sorts and a nice long soak. Sometimes he’ll stay out for a day or 2 but usually he ends up going back to his hide to brumate. I also monitor his weight to make sure he hasn’t drastically lost any. And so far he’s actually gained some weight. Here’s a picture of the little guy when I took him out a couple days ago

Attachments

• 793BC2C5-89C6-4E51-B6E9-E152C5032B49.jpeg
    793BC2C5-89C6-4E51-B6E9-E152C5032B49.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8C4EE446-BEC3-4226-9D73-EE775CAD2253.png
    8C4EE446-BEC3-4226-9D73-EE775CAD2253.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 7

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey if it helps my beardie started brumating when he was 10 months too. That was in October and while he’s still brumating he’s doing very well. I’ve checked with my vet and they said it’s fine too if you’d like you can do the same on your end and check with a vet. Just because our beardies are younger I tend to take him out every 3 days or so and make sure he has a feeding of some sorts and a nice long soak. Sometimes he’ll stay out for a day or 2 but usually he ends up going back to his hide to brumate. I also monitor his weight to make sure he hasn’t drastically lost any. And so far he’s actually gained some weight. Here’s a picture of the little guy when I took him out a couple days ago
Aw wow he is gorgeous and looks so healthy-well done!

Thanks a lot for that, I’m glad she’s not the only one doing this at her age! I think I sort of have in my head that if she was brumating I wouldn’t see her at all and she’d be asleep constantly, which probably isn’t right.

I’d take her back to the vet, but the only one I can travel to just now (lockdown) is a **** vet in a regular surgery and I’m not sure I really trust his judgment, he wasn’t that helpful last time round.

Thank you so much, your post is really reassuring.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Aw wow he is gorgeous and looks so healthy-well done!

Thanks a lot for that, I’m glad she’s not the only one doing this at her age! I think I sort of have in my head that if she was brumating I wouldn’t see her at all and she’d be asleep constantly, which probably isn’t right.

I’d take her back to the vet, but the only one I can travel to just now (lockdown) is a **** vet in a regular surgery and I’m not sure I really trust his judgment, he wasn’t that helpful last time round.

Thank you so much, your post is really reassuring.
You’re welcome and don’t worry I was worried too in the beginning, if you do see her losing weight or looking unhealthy google ways to force her out of brumation there are ways to get her out of this, while my Starbucks is doing well during brumation when he’s this young not all beardies do. But unless that happens she should be fine, considering you’re still feeding her, and keeping her hydrated she may still be more alert but you sadly still will be seeing less of her. Whenever my Starbucks is ready for his feeding or outing time he usually pops his head out of his hide and that when I know to give him a bath and everything but that’s still usually once every 3-5 days. Another thing to look out for is any signs of mbd, because our beardies are so young their bodies may not know how to fully go through a brumation properly, so I check his toes and jaw daily to make sure there aren’t any changes. If you have any more questions or concerns you can always pop another question on the forum, there are so many people who love giving advice. And because I have first hand experience you can always dm me and I can always pop a few questions to my vet too for you if anything

Snakesox

Bearded Dragon Egg
You’re welcome and don’t worry I was worried too in the beginning, if you do see her losing weight or looking unhealthy google ways to force her out of brumation there are ways to get her out of this, while my Starbucks is doing well during brumation when he’s this young not all beardies do. But unless that happens she should be fine, considering you’re still feeding her, and keeping her hydrated she may still be more alert but you sadly still will be seeing less of her. Whenever my Starbucks is ready for his feeding or outing time he usually pops his head out of his hide and that when I know to give him a bath and everything but that’s still usually once every 3-5 days. Another thing to look out for is any signs of mbd, because our beardies are so young their bodies may not know how to fully go through a brumation properly, so I check his toes and jaw daily to make sure there aren’t any changes. If you have any more questions or concerns you can always pop another question on the forum, there are so many people who love giving advice. And because I have first hand experience you can always dm me and I can always pop a few questions to my vet too for you if anything
That’s so helpful and kind of you. Thank you so, so much I really appreciate it.

Ive been encouraging her to bask for the past month worrying she’s not getting enough heat/UVB but decided yesterday to leave her and see what she did on her own and she stayed hiding till around 3pm and then came out and basked till lights out.

Latest posts