• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about UVB length in diy enclosure

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey all! Finally got materials to build our enclosure for our soon to be beardie. Had a question though on UVB.
First the enclosure will be 4x2x2. I had ordered a 36" Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO w/hood. It is on hold at the moment. On another forum, I was told 24" was the minimum and that 36" might be too big because there should be a UVB free area, and there was a question of possible limitations vertically for furniture/decorations on the cool side to keep a safe distance.

Since I'm new to beardies, I need all the information I can get. I've posted in another forum also.

There isn't a big rush, but my daughter is asking when she gets to have her new baby. She's showing all her friends all sorts of beardie pics to her friends already. LOL Plus I'll need to let the store if they can ship the hood and light or if I need to change the order.

Thanks! I've found the reptile community to be very welcoming and just all around great folks...glad to join the club!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The 36" light is fine. You want it to cover around 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure. That will leave the last foot of your enclosure as an area your dragon can go to be completely out of the I've rays

Latest posts