• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Problems With Juvenile Beardie

Lenny_The_Bearded_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I have a problem with one of my 7-month old juvie beardies. Whenever I put my hand in the tank, whether to feed or to attempt to handle him, if I get "too close" he hisses and tries to bight my finger. Can anyone help?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I have a problem with one of my 7-month old juvie beardies. Whenever I put my hand in the tank, whether to feed or to attempt to handle him, if I get "too close" he hisses and tries to bight my finger. Can anyone help?
He's a juvenile - have you started working w/ him before now ? How long have you had him ? Please go over the surface basking temps and how you are getting them-- your uvb your using- coil or long tube fixture

Lenny_The_Bearded_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's a juvenile - have you started working w/ him before now ? How long have you had him ? Please go over the surface basking temps and how you are getting them-- your uvb your using- coil or long tube fixture
I try to handle him every day, I've had him for 5 months, 110 degrees Fahrenheit basking spot, Zoo Med 24" T5 HO 10.0 Linear Fixture.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I try to handle him every day, I've had him for 5 months, 110 degrees Fahrenheit basking spot, Zoo Med 24" T5 HO 10.0 Linear Fixture.
Please lower the surface basking temp down to 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate -- next where is the UVB in the tank unobstructed or top of screen? These things make a difference in behavior --- can you hand feed him? Also are you using any colored bulbs?

Lenny_The_Bearded_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please lower the surface basking temp down to 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate -- next where is the UVB in the tank unobstructed or top of screen? These things make a difference in behavior --- can you hand feed him? Also are you using any colored bulbs?
NO COLORED BULBS. UVB is on top of screen, but 6-8 inches away from basking spot. He sometimes accepts hand feedings, but is a bit skittish.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NO COLORED BULBS. UVB is on top of screen, but 6-8 inches away from basking spot. He sometimes accepts hand feedings, but is a bit skittish.
Ok work w/ him on that - get your hand in the tank as much possible - hand feed him some treat worms like super - horn- meal.worms --i would get your uvb unobstructed no screen place it directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches- you want uvb and surface basking temps on par-

Lenny_The_Bearded_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok work w/ him on that - get your hand in the tank as much possible - hand feed him some treat worms like super - horn- meal.worms --i would get your uvb unobstructed no screen place it directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches- you want uvb and surface basking temps on par-
Will do, thanks for the advice!

Latest posts