• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible abscess.. cancer? I'm worried.

Tylerxjerry

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
I was gifted this beardie (more like a rescue) from a friend. I have many snakes and a gecko but this is my first beardie. The day he brought him over I instantly noticed a lump on his upper beard/lower mouth. I asked what it was he said he has no clue. Two weeks later it seems to have grown and I'm calling a vet tomorrow. I had to wait for money because if I need to put him through surgery I will. He's a sweetheart and I'd hate to see him go through pain. I'm coming to you to help diagnose and give me an estimated price for the procedure. I have no idea what it is but my best bet would be a abscess based on my limited knowledge and research. Any help is appreciated. I'm worried for the little fella. Thanks in advance
IMG_0164.JPG

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It could be an abscess. Glad you are getting him to a vet, they will probably give some antibiotics and maybe try to draw some fluid out of it. Is he eating anything?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure what it is but that is for sure not normal so having a vet take a look is a very good idea before it gets too far along..

Tylerxjerry

Bearded Dragon Egg
do you have an update?
The vet diagnosed it as an abscess and gave me antibiotics and probiotics. If it grows more or if he stopps eating or gets lazy she said to take him back and they will try to clear it out. I asked if he could get cleared out there but she said it would stress him out and risk further infection. I have him on the medicine for two days I haven't seen any changes in the bump size but he's still energetic and alert so I'm not as worried as I previously was. I will give an update on further progress

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The vet diagnosed it as an abscess and gave me antibiotics and probiotics. If it grows more or if he stopps eating or gets lazy she said to take him back and they will try to clear it out. I asked if he could get cleared out there but she said it would stress him out and risk further infection. I have him on the medicine for two days I haven't seen any changes in the bump size but he's still energetic and alert so I'm not as worried as I previously was. I will give an update on further progress

Sometimes it takes awhile for the meds to kick in. There is something called serrapepatapase (sp?) you can get it at beardeddragon.co or bug-de-lite. It's a natural enzyme found in silkworms that helps make medication work faster. I give it to Dexter when I give her meds. The mouth is a very tricky place to have an infection. My oldest girl gets this swollen tissue that goes away and comes back. They can't find any reason why, tests come back negative. The next step would be to biopsy it but she doesn't act any differently and she is still eating and not in pain so we are holding off doing anything. Once you start cutting things in the mouth it's going to start a whole slew of other issues. She will def stop eating at then.

Latest posts