• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plugged nostril

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
Some background I know its going completely impacted with im not sure with what. He gapes his mouth often and a few weeks ago he had bubbles out of the stuffed nostril. The vet could not get the debris out but said he looked healthy and fine and no active UPI symptoms. She prescribed baytril and I am picking it up today.

He went a solid 8 weeks without eating a single bug, only salad and no bowel movements. I thought impaction but vet said his stomach was fine and he wasn’t eating enough for a bowel movement.
But his eyes seem glazed and he looks sick. I started giving him a probiotic and he started having regular bowels.
Dinos symptoms sound so much like Spaghetti’s and I wonder if you know what was wrong? I’ve had him since he was a tiny baby and he’s a year old this month.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am so sorry to hear about Dino. I hope he pulls though. I am actually hoping you can help me! My dragon, Spaghetti, has had very similar symptoms. His one nostril is completely impacted with im not sure what. He gapes his mouth often and a few weeks ago he had bubbles out of the stuffed nostril. The vet could not get the debris out but said he looked healthy and fine and no active UPI symptoms. She prescribed baytril and I am picking it up today.
He went a solid 8 weeks without eating a single bug, only salad and no bowel movements. I thought impaction but vet said his stomach was fine and he wasn’t eating enough for a bowel movement.
But his eyes seem glazed and he looks sick. I started giving him a probiotic and he started having regular bowels.
Dinos symptoms sound so much like Spaghetti’s and I wonder if you know what was wrong? I’ve had him since he was a tiny baby and he’s a year old this month.
Please post a pic of the dragon- what are the basking temps how are you taking them? No stick ons please-- what are you using for a uvb? No coils please-- you need to keep him warmer overnite- low 80's if he's not feeling well a che ceramic heat emitter will do that -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please post a pic of the dragon- what are the basking temps how are you taking them? No stick ons please-- what are you using for a uvb? No coils please-- you need to keep him warmer overnite- low 80's if he's not feeling well a che ceramic heat emitter will do that -
What is the humidity in the tank?

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
I’m at work right now but I’ll get better pics of his enclosure when I get home.
He’s in a 40 gallon tank. He has a T8 10 watt uva bulb (it is on top if the tank but the screen is removed in that area so there is direct light to him) he has a 100watt solar glo mercury bulb and his basking spot gets to be between 99 and 102. I have a probe hydrometer that reads the temp in his basking but a temp gun for the cool / warm spot. Cool spot is 78 and warm is around 85. I live in Florida so the coolest it gets inside is 72 at night but his tank stays about 76. I will put on his ceramic heat bulb at night to get it warmer. I have a small dehumidifier in his tank too and his humidity levels are at 35 during the day. (That’s with the dehumidifier)
If I keep water bowl in there it gets too high so we do electrolyte baths 3x week (per his vets recommendation) here are some pics of him. I’ll take another when I get home.

Attachments

• 9C0B65AB-96BF-4DBA-8B00-622126D8A2DA.jpeg
    9C0B65AB-96BF-4DBA-8B00-622126D8A2DA.jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 0214B7A3-EE4A-4E71-BB6E-71B98ACFAE07.jpeg
    0214B7A3-EE4A-4E71-BB6E-71B98ACFAE07.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
What is the humidity in the tank?
It’s stays around 35 percent. That’s the lowest I can get it. I even have a dehumidifier in his enclosure. I live in Florida so it’s rough getting it lower than that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m at work right now but I’ll get better pics of his enclosure when I get home.
He’s in a 40 gallon tank. He has a T8 10 watt uva bulb (it is on top if the tank but the screen is removed in that area so there is direct light to him) he has a 100watt solar glo mercury bulb and his basking spot gets to be between 99 and 102. I have a probe hydrometer that reads the temp in his basking but a temp gun for the cool / warm spot. Cool spot is 78 and warm is around 85. I live in Florida so the coolest it gets inside is 72 at night but his tank stays about 76. I will put on his ceramic heat bulb at night to get it warmer. I have a small dehumidifier in his tank too and his humidity levels are at 35 during the day. (That’s with the dehumidifier)
If I keep water bowl in there it gets too high so we do electrolyte baths 3x week (per his vets recommendation) here are some pics of him. I’ll take another when I get home.
Ok I can see that's it's plugged- is he wheezing crackling breathing heavy-? Make sure the distance is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- if and I mean IF he has a RI going do not give him any more baths- he would need to see another vet for a second opinion- they would need to do a x-ray to see if there is any fluid -
www.arav.org
I am going to have some one else look at the nose- to see if they think it's shed

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
I was thinking about finding another vet, this is enough validation for me to do that. I will take him to another vet ASAP.
As for the breathing, he doesn’t have any wheezing or heavy breathing. He had bubbles in his nose that one day and then it dried up and never came out of his nose. I’ll hold off on the baths until The new vet confirms no RI.(I’m pretty sure his current vet did the X-ray to check for the RI because my bill had one itemized on it. I’ll call and find out for sure. He just has crusty lips and clogged nose holes. I was able to completely remove and clear one nostril last night. I’m hoping the baytril helps him. I’ll be picking up the script today after work so he will get his first dose tonight.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was thinking about finding another vet, this is enough validation for me to do that. I will take him to another vet ASAP.
As for the breathing, he doesn’t have any wheezing or heavy breathing. He had bubbles in his nose that one day and then it dried up and never came out of his nose. I’ll hold off on the baths until The new vet confirms no RI.(I’m pretty sure his current vet did the X-ray to check for the RI because my bill had one itemized on it. I’ll call and find out for sure. He just has crusty lips and clogged nose holes. I was able to completely remove and clear one nostril last night. I’m hoping the baytril helps him. I’ll be picking up the script today after work so he will get his first dose tonight.
What was the baytril prescribed for? I have sent pics and post to a vet tech friend of mine to see what she says - she is on late at nite so I will get w/ you tomorrow

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
What was the baytril prescribed for? I have sent pics and post to a vet tech friend of mine to see what she says - she is on late at nite so I will get w/ you tomorrow
The vet said for a general infection. He said it could be a bacterial infection of some sort and that Baytril is broad spectrum antibiotic that would help clear up whatever is making him feel sick. He told me to use bene-bac too with the antibiotic because it will also kill his good gut bacteria. The probiotic I already had so he’s had that for a few days already. It’s definitely made him regular with bowel movements which was rare for him before the probiotic.
Thank you so much for your help with Spaghetti. I’ve been so worried about him and when I saw this thread I knew I had to jump in

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The vet said for a general infection. He said it could be a bacterial infection of some sort and that Baytril is broad spectrum antibiotic that would help clear up whatever is making him feel sick. He told me to use bene-bac too with the antibiotic because it will also kill his good gut bacteria. The probiotic I already had so he’s had that for a few days already. It’s definitely made him regular with bowel movements which was rare for him before the probiotic.
Thank you so much for your help with Spaghetti. I’ve been so worried about him and when I saw this thread I knew I had to jump in
Ok I am gonna get some info from the vet tech- just make sure your giving the correct dosage- and if you have the blood work results if you can post them that would be great- she can read the test results

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I am gonna get some info from the vet tech- just make sure your giving the correct dosage- and if you have the blood work results if you can post them that would be great- she can read the test results
I’ll ask the vet to send them to me and ill upload them to you. The baytril he gave me was 2.5% oral solution and the dosage is based off his weight of 325 grams. He said to give him 0.18 ml.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll ask the vet to send them to me and ill upload them to you. The baytril he gave me was 2.5% oral solution and the dosage is based off his weight of 325 grams. He said to give him 0.18 ml.
Ok I will get back to you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I will get back to you
This is what Tracie is asking

Your dragon's nostril looks clogged but it should shed out. Is the mouth/lips area going to shed too?
Is your dragon still on the Baytril right now?
If he is still having trouble with infection, I would recommend keeping him warmer overnight, around
80 or so. That helps to boost his system

I have sent the info to her regarding the dosage / weight

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon

Your dragon's nostril looks clogged but it should shed out. Is the mouth/lips area going to shed too?
If he is still having trouble with infection, I would recommend keeping him warmer overnight, around

His nostril has been clogged for several weeks but his mouth actually just started to shed this morning. I hadn’t noticed before but when I fed him this morning I saw his mouth was starting shed. I just gave him his first dose of baytril last night. I turned on the CH bulb last night to keep him warmer.
I got the blood work results from the vet but it’s on an excel layout. It’s too big to screenshot so I’m going to consolidated the info into a smaller file and copy and paste it below once I can get to my work computer.

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon

Okay this is the blood work results. In little have no idea what any of this means so hopefully you do!

ALB: 3.2 g/dL
ALKP: 169 U/L
ALT: 2 U/L
AST: 12 U/L
Ca: 14.6 mg/dL
CHOL: 436 mg/dL
GLU: 222 mg/dL H
LDH: 332 IU/L
PHOS: 3.8 mg/dL
Potassium: 5.4 mEq/L
TP: 6.8 g/dL
Sodium: 132 mEq/L
URIC: 3.6 mg/dL
A/G Ratio: 1.0
GLOB: 3.4 g/dL
CK: 72.5 U/L

BASO: 0 %
BLOOD PARA
EOS: 2 % L
HCT: 37.0 %
HETERO: 24 % L
HETR BANDS: 0 %
LYMPHS: 64 %
MONOS: 14 % H
NEUT BANDS: 0 %
NEUT SEG: 0 %
PLASMA PRO: 8.0
THROMBO: ADEQUATE
WBC CNT: 8.4 THOUS. L
WBC (EST): 7-9 THOUS.
ABS BASO: 0 /uL
ABS EOS: 159 /uL
ABS HETR: 1752 /uL
ABS LYMPHS: 5208 /uL
ABS MONOS: 1260 /uL

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay this is the blood work results. In little have no idea what any of this means so hopefully you do!

ALB: 3.2 g/dL
ALKP: 169 U/L
ALT: 2 U/L
AST: 12 U/L
Ca: 14.6 mg/dL
CHOL: 436 mg/dL
GLU: 222 mg/dL H
LDH: 332 IU/L
PHOS: 3.8 mg/dL
Potassium: 5.4 mEq/L
TP: 6.8 g/dL
Sodium: 132 mEq/L
URIC: 3.6 mg/dL
A/G Ratio: 1.0
GLOB: 3.4 g/dL
CK: 72.5 U/L

BASO: 0 %
BLOOD PARA
EOS: 2 % L
HCT: 37.0 %
HETERO: 24 % L
HETR BANDS: 0 %
LYMPHS: 64 %
MONOS: 14 % H
NEUT BANDS: 0 %
NEUT SEG: 0 %
PLASMA PRO: 8.0
THROMBO: ADEQUATE
WBC CNT: 8.4 THOUS. L
WBC (EST): 7-9 THOUS.
ABS BASO: 0 /uL
ABS EOS: 159 /uL
ABS HETR: 1752 /uL
ABS LYMPHS: 5208 /uL
ABS MONOS: 1260 /uL
Going to pass on to her

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
Going to pass on to her
Thank you!!

Cch9413

Hatchling Dragon
So good news! After literal months of impacted nostrils, His face and mouth all dried up and started a shed and the impact in his nostril dried up and I was able to pluck it off! Both nostrils are clear! The thickest and longest nose plugs I’ve ever seen came out/off. I forgot how big his nostrils were supposed to be! I can see them again.
The crust on his mouth mostly cleared up. Only 2 doses of the Baytril in! I have to assume the antibiotic helped clear up whatever was causing this.
He still seems sick though. He isn’t mouth breathing anymore though. That’s a good sign, right? His appetite is a little better than yesterday but his eyes still seem glazy. I am using his CHE at night so his tank is at 81 right now.
Do you know what the blood work results showed? His vet said that his calcium levels seemed a little high and his white blood count was average but everything else was normal. I’m skeptical though. Do those results say anything about a URI? Or would just the X-ray show that? Do the blood results show parasites or would that be another test?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So good news! After literal months of impacted nostrils, His face and mouth all dried up and started a shed and the impact in his nostril dried up and I was able to pluck it off! Both nostrils are clear! The thickest and longest nose plugs I’ve ever seen came out/off. I forgot how big his nostrils were supposed to be! I can see them again.
The crust on his mouth mostly cleared up. Only 2 doses of the Baytril in! I have to assume the antibiotic helped clear up whatever was causing this.
He still seems sick though. He isn’t mouth breathing anymore though. That’s a good sign, right? His appetite is a little better than yesterday but his eyes still seem glazy. I am using his CHE at night so his tank is at 81 right now.
Do you know what the blood work results showed? His vet said that his calcium levels seemed a little high and his white blood count was average but everything else was normal. I’m skeptical though. Do those results say anything about a URI? Or would just the X-ray show that? Do the blood results show parasites or would that be another test?
I will forward post to the vet tech

Latest posts