• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please share what is/was your feeding schedule for around an 8m old beardie.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all!

We have had our beardie since October and we approximate his age to be around 8 months. I am looking for feeding schedules that you have or had at this age. Please if you can include amounts of veggies, insects, bugs etc.

Thank you for all your help!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I gave salad every morning and they were still getting 2 meals a day of bugs. Maybe something like 12 supers split between 2 meals. Only one meal a day was dusted with supplements.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
I gave salad every morning and they were still getting 2 meals a day of bugs. Maybe something like 12 supers split between 2 meals. Only one meal a day was dusted with supplements.

As always thank you patsy!! Supers are superworms right? (I'm
Sorry)

for how long does a schedule like this stay for? What did you change later?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, super worms. They kinda changed their own schedule, at around a year they only wanted to eat one meal a day and then around 18 months they only wanted to eat every other day. When I found they were looking a little too chunky they got fed every 3 days. Salads are always every day no matter what.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a almost 2 year old female and a 1 year old male and they always get a salad each day, I offer dubia roaches 4 a day but my female will only eat them about every other to every 3 days. My male who is still kinda growing he will eat 3-4 a day when he's out running around.. They will occasionally eat the supers but right now they are not thrilled with them right now.. Sometimes my female will eat 1 or 2 when she is in her bath for whatever reason lol

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
My darling Skittles is 10 months. I actually just put up a similar post to see if his diet is sufficient for his age, and it seems to be, so you're is probably similar. He gets the amount of greens shown in the picture every morning, plus a mix up of various worms - 15 to 30 depending on what I have on hand. he gets about 20 large dubia in the evening. My staple worms are black fly soldier larvae and superworms, with additional hornworms, waxworms, butterworms, if I have them on hand.... I'm thinking about cutting back on the supers though, I think they are making him lazy

Attachments

• 20170409_103409.jpg
    20170409_103409.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20170405_202627.jpg
    20170405_202627.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 15844789_10154655110265935_5818951062281454934_o (1).jpg
    15844789_10154655110265935_5818951062281454934_o (1).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 27

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
My darling Skittles is 10 months. I actually just put up a similar post to see if his diet is sufficient for his age, and it seems to be, so you're is probably similar. He gets the amount of greens shown in the picture every morning, plus a mix up of various worms - 15 to 30 depending on what I have on hand. he gets about 20 large dubia in the evening. My staple worms are black fly soldier larvae and superworms, with additional hornworms, waxworms, butterworms, if I have them on hand.... I'm thinking about cutting back on the supers though, I think they are making him lazy
Thank you so much for your response and the pictures!!

My guy is about13-14 inches now. Have to remeasure today. I'm looking at options to buy superworms and I've found they are about 2 inch in length. That's bigger than the space between his eyes. I read they are easily digested. Is it safe to give at this age?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for your response and the pictures!!

My guy is about13-14 inches now. Have to remeasure today. I'm looking at options to buy superworms and I've found they are about 2 inch in length. That's bigger than the space between his eyes. I read they are easily digested. Is it safe to give at this age?
Yes you can do superworms just at first do 1 at a time and see how he does.. They are really good about bitting them up pretty good so that shouldn't be an issue.. Just be aware that superworms are high in fat and for some they really love them and have been known to not want other good feeders and will hold out for supers.. So feed other bugs that are a good staple along with the supers.. My main one is dubia then supers and for treats they get butter or waxworms..

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Yes you can do superworms just at first do 1 at a time and see how he does.. They are really good about bitting them up pretty good so that shouldn't be an issue.. Just be aware that superworms are high in fat and for some they really love them and have been known to not want other good feeders and will hold out for supers.. So feed other bugs that are a good staple along with the supers.. My main one is dubia then supers and for treats they get butter or waxworms..

Thank you! Yes that's what I read to start with one as well. I feed other bugs too. I just went to my local pet store and I'm a little confused if these are giant mealworms or superworms.the man at the store has them marked as "super meal worms" but he's not sure himself which they are. Will get back to me. Would you be able to tell me from the picture?

Also what do you keep them in and feed them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 27

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! Yes that's what I read to start with one as well. I feed other bugs too. I just went to my local pet store and I'm a little confused if these are giant mealworms or superworms.the man at the store has them marked as "super meal worms" but he's not sure himself which they are. Will get back to me. Would you be able to tell me from the picture?

yes those are superworms,

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

What most of us do for keeping them is a tupperware container that is about 4 inches high and like a rectangle in shape.. I use wheat bran for substrate and the lid is cut out for really good ventilation (mold will kill them) I put a plastic lid from say a peanut butter jar or mayo lid and in that I put fresh veggies that I would feed my dragons so I typically cut chunks of squash, zuc, stems of the collard greens.. This way they go up into the dish to eat and yes they kinda bring it down into the wheat bran eventually so I just keep tabs on them each day to put it back ontop so not to get the substrate moist.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
What most of us do for keeping them is a tupperware container that is about 4 inches high and like a rectangle in shape.. I use wheat bran for substrate and the lid is cut out for really good ventilation (mold will kill them) I put a plastic lid from say a peanut butter jar or mayo lid and in that I put fresh veggies that I would feed my dragons so I typically cut chunks of squash, zuc, stems of the collard greens.. This way they go up into the dish to eat and yes they kinda bring it down into the wheat bran eventually so I just keep tabs on them each day to put it back ontop so not to get the substrate moist.
Thanks!!
I only had rolled oats in the house so I put them in that for now. Read that it's ok, but not sure?? Will go to the store in the evening. Since I only have 10, I put them in a small container about 3 inches high. Made holes on the top. I'm not sure if that's enough ventilation?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 17

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks!!
I only had rolled oats in the house so I put them in that for now. Read that it's ok, but not sure?? Will go to the store in the evening. Since I only have 10, I put them in a small container about 3 inches high. Made holes on the top. I'm not sure if that's enough ventilation?
They cant crawl out so if it were me id open up about a hole like a quarter in size.
Heres a pic of mine
a1c326b5737ea41f1d0c71f64aea582c.jpg
4169119b09e32462de4af804e5c3dfc9.jpg

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I usually get the containers that have 100 on up to 500 as long as they have food they will last, no fridge just in a room

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Sure thing!! Glad to help, your 10 wont last long lol

Lol I know! But I figured I'll start with that to see how he does and I wasn't 100% sure they were superworms bc the store couldn't confirm. Where do you get your superworms?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol I know! But I figured I'll start with that to see how he does and I wasn't 100% sure they were superworms bc the store couldn't confirm. Where do you get your superworms?
Petco, petsmart, online if i go in bulk

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
I started a thread, but is there a superworm thread? I'd like to get away from Crix and REALLY can't wait til mainly veggies.

I asked a few pertinent questions in my thread, but maybe there are some archives that would help us out?

By the way, that skittles dragon is beauty!!!

Latest posts