• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picky, picky eater!

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Anyone else's beardie NOT like butterworms?! Brought some home as a treat today and he chewed one up and spit it out! Expensive treat gone to waste *smh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
just because he doesn't like it today doesn't mean he wont like it tomorrow. these guys make us crazy! but - that's why we love them. wait a couple days then try it again - it may have just been that it was new and different

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Awe, I've never had a dragon spit something out like that. My pac man frog does that with dubia though, like I'm giving her poison!

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Canicke you were absolutely right! Tried a butter worm again today, and devoured it. Thanks for the advice! I was about to dump them in the yard for the birds :/

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
So I just wanted to add one more thing to this thread I started. I was seriously starting to worry about my little guy and his "picky" eating habits. After two weeks of trying everything I could think of, (lights, temps, vitamins, etc) it turns out Turbo was dehydrated. My husband figured it out by accident. So, all I've read is to keep a regular bathing and misting schedule. Apparently that wasn't good enough. Now I'm putting water directly on his nose and he'll drink it. So, since there are other newbies to the beardie world, I just wanted to share my experience. He's now back to a full appetite and eating everything in sight.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I just wanted to add one more thing to this thread I started. I was seriously starting to worry about my little guy and his "picky" eating habits. After two weeks of trying everything I could think of, (lights, temps, vitamins, etc) it turns out Turbo was dehydrated. My husband figured it out by accident. So, all I've read is to keep a regular bathing and misting schedule. Apparently that wasn't good enough. Now I'm putting water directly on his nose and he'll drink it. So, since there are other newbies to the beardie world, I just wanted to share my experience. He's now back to a full appetite and eating everything in sight.

Be very careful if your misting inside the tank as that will really increase the humidity that will increase the risk of respiratory infections. as long as you can keep him eating they should be getting most of the water from the bugs and greens with the addition the bathing.. I think it's easier once they are adults as they have more reserves.. As babies dribbling water on their nose, increasing bathing are all good.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

When my girl Dolly gets dehydrated, I give her plain coconut water and drip it on her nose. She loves the taste and laps it right up and it seems to give her a little boost because of all the electrolytes.

Latest posts