• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phoenix worms, wax worms, crickets... what do you think?

Waffles

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have a few questions about feeding my dragon. Petsmart has not been very helpful, but considering they can hire anyone regardless of training, I'm not surprised.

From my reading, meal worms are highly frowned upon. The hard chitin shell being the issue. And I've already heard of one local who had the meal worm eat out thru the beardies stomach, killing him. So I'm avoiding.

I've fed him wax worms that are listed the same as crickets on the food info chart I've seen. Much softer.

Crickets are listed as as occasional foods but I'm feeding him as if an always food. He seems to like the hunt!

I just looked at the info on phoenix worms (a daily food). I think I may order. I am finding worms are much easier to keep and feed our beardie. My question is if there is a size concern. They come small, medium and large for which even the large seems small.

He has very limited interest in veggies, but is only a few months old. I'm guessing 3, at most 4 months. (we got him on Dec 26) He is about 10" long, I think that was 24cm. I offer, and he usually has a few nibbles and is done.

He does seem to prefer fruit. Makes sense to me. Yum! :) I only offer that on occasion, trying to push the green leaf veggies.

Does this seem OK? I think it does. And note my question about phoenix worms.
Thanks so much for the help and support!
Christine

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; Waffles;I use silk worms and Phoenix worms but only as treats=As Germ states a dragon can become 'Worm spoiled and not want anything else lol-So i use as treats.If you give a dragon a choice between the worms or crix; =Which one will he take lol. Worms every time. PS; not a daily food-Feed crix; daily as a growing baby needs protein to grow.Worms only as treats. There is a good diet sheet on the first page of the forum that most of us follow and dragons are healthy read that and it will give you choices of foods green being the best and black listed a sometimes change. Hope this helps a little and others will be along shortly to help-Welcome to BDF; and ask questions we have all been where you are-don't be afraid to ask not question is un-important.Bst of luck with your baby-River-7

Waffles

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have referred to that sheet many times. That sheet lists crickets as occasional and Phoenix worms as daily. That's where my question is coming from. Thanks!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Green is listed daily but do you?? It is recommended as a staple but again do you give it or not . It is up to you but i personally would not.Green is a guideline as to what you can give. Hope it helps a little-river-7-PS i have 3-dragons and had 6-at 1-time.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Worms are generally quite fatty & is the main reason that they should not be fed as a staple diet & should be more as treats. As Bella mentioned there is also the worm-spoiling issue, causing them to refuse all else.

While there are a few errors in Beautiful Dragons nutrition list, crickets being listed as only an occasional feeder being one of them, along with Pheonix Worms as a Staple diet (Solely because of their Calcium:phosphorus ratio, with no concern for their fat content), it is over all, a very good guide.

The old wive's tale about meal worms eating through the stomach always makes me laugh. Take a look at this challenge that I have posted on many different forums over the years, all with the same results as on this forum. No replies ...
Mealie Basher 'Challenge'

Latest posts