• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Petting and holding my new beardie

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering how long you guys waited to hold your new dragon. I’ve waited 5 days and I can’t wait any longer!!! Would it be ok if I at least petted him? I don’t know! Help!!

StinkyLizrd

Bearded Dragon Egg
Since he’s young and only had him for 5 days, let him get used to his enclosure. But to answer your question, Yes it won’t hurt him. Take him out and let him explore for awhile. Then put him back once you seem him change color (if he darkens, he’s stressed)

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I was wondering how long you guys waited to hold your new dragon. I’ve waited 5 days and I can’t wait any longer!!! Would it be ok if I at least petted him? I don’t know! Help!!
you can start petting him gently, with the scales. if he seems calm try to slide your finger under his stomach being sure you’re supporting all legs. he should latch on if you’re being slow and calm. keep him in the enclosure the first time you hold him so he can walk off if he gets scared but if he seems okay, leave him a little while (reward him with a food he likes, i do blueberries) and you can take him out of his enclosure ! if he does get skittish keep him in the enclosure until he gets more used to your hand! good luck!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For the first 3 days I sat by Dexter's tank (my baby beardy) and talked to him before I tried touching him. I also put my hands inside his tank, but not too near him as I didn't want to startle him, so he got accustomed to seeing my hands. By the fourth morning he let me touch him as long as I went slowly and after about 15 minutes even jumped onto my hand and sat for about 2 minutes while I talked to him before he hopped back onto his branch. It's day 5 now and he let's me pet his head and chest and will latch onto my fingers so I can lift him up a little and he'll climb onto my thumb or onto my palm. I haven't tried holding him outside his tank yet, but hoping to do so before too long. We're going slowly to build up trust. He'll also eat crickets out of my fingers now, though my stubborn baby is still refusing his veges. Gahh!

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For the first 3 days I sat by Dexter's tank (my baby beardy) and talked to him before I tried touching him. I also put my hands inside his tank, but not too near him as I didn't want to startle him, so he got accustomed to seeing my hands. By the fourth morning he let me touch him as long as I went slowly and after about 15 minutes even jumped onto my hand and sat for about 2 minutes while I talked to him before he hopped back onto his branch. It's day 5 now and he let's me pet his head and chest and will latch onto my fingers so I can lift him up a little and he'll climb onto my thumb or onto my palm. I haven't tried holding him outside his tank yet, but hoping to do so before too long. We're going slowly to build up trust. He'll also eat crickets out of my fingers now, though my stubborn baby is still refusing his veges. Gahh!
how exciting ! keep us updated!!

Knowinghades63

Bearded Dragon Egg
I believe it is different with each animal because I strayed from the norm kinda heavily on this one. I have had immediate contact with my dragon almost everyday since she was brought home. How I do it is get my dragon out and put her on the bed. I allow her plenty of time ten to 15 minutes to get comfortable. If she moves around to much or seems uneasy put it up. A good way to see how fast it’s breathing. If it’s slow and steady. Your dragon is calm and simply looking around. Then as gently as possible put it in your hand and hold it near your body so it can get your scent. I would not recommend letting in the first few days as this almost always makes them uneasy. I’ve only had my beard or for about two weeks and now when I put her on the other side of the bed she will actually seek me out and get on my lap. Another thing I did was hand fed her insects a couple times. Don’t force them to eat obviously because it’s all about gaining their trust. And don’t do it to often or they will lose the hunting instincts. Just enough for her to associate your hand woth food and other pleasant things in the begging. Make slow steady movements as to not scare them. And then finally when putting them back into their enclosure always lift and set them down as gently as possible you don’t want to be the bringer of pain in the eyes of your dragon. Sorry my message is so long. I just enjoy the company of my dragon. And I know she enjoys mine as well.

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
Since he’s young and only had him for 5 days, let him get used to his enclosure. But to answer your question, Yes it won’t hurt him. Take him out and let him explore for awhile. Then put him back once you seem him change color (if he darkens, he’s stressed)
I handled mine right after I brought her home
I have had her for over two years and she's doing great. She wants to come out all the time.

Latest posts