• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peel & Stick Laminate "tiles" for flooring.

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all . . . got my viv yesterday and was at Home Depot looking at ceramic tiles for substrate when I came across peel & stick laminate tiles. They were somewhat rough on the surface, meant to look and feel like real textured ceramic tile. I can just cut them to size and stick them down. Easier and also lightweight. They sell a kit that seals the little seams, too. The only drawback I can see is that they wouldn't hold heat as well as real tiles would. What do you think?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
only thing you would need to worry about (and i dont know the answer myself but hopefully someone does) is if the tiles are toxic when extremely hot. A lot of those adhesive products, when heated, will produce fumes which can be toxic to animal.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I first read your post, I was uncertain too. Brian makes a very good point. The sticky stuff may give off fumes when heated to 110F. As always, I tend to be on the side of caution and not use them.

For easy cleaning, I lined my viv with papertowels. And then lay my tiles on top. They fit snug and there were no gaps. So, once a month, I could pick the tiles up and give them a good cleaning. The rest of the time, spot cleaning worked with non-scented baby wipes.

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Arrgg . . . scary!! I didn't even think about the adhesive giving off fumes when heated. I am SO glad I found this forum where I can ask questions. I'll buy the real tiles and I love the idea of papertowels laid underneath. I did get the plastic viv I had posted on another thread . . . I'm pleased with it and think it will work out great.

Also, drumroll, I bought a sweet little red dragon from Elisa at Sunkissed Dragons yesterday. She lives only 10 min away from me, what a find!! She's going to hold the little guy for me until Christmas Eve, so Santa can bring him on Christmas morning to my son Charlie. I'll be sure to take some fun pictures of the look on his face when he discovers his big surprise. Can't wait!! :)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Becca,
Welcome aboard.
As a medium between paper towels and ceramic tiles tou can also ise a non adheasive shelf liner. The only draw back I have found is I have to clip nails more often then when I was using ceramic tile.

becca

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good idea as a backup . .. I'm going to try the tiles but I'm glad there are other options as well. Still can't get over the fact that I almost fumigated (is that a word?) the future dragon. :-(

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad you had the inclination to ask. See, we told you no question was silly.
Keep em coming

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
becca said:
Also, drumroll, I bought a sweet little red dragon from Elisa at Sunkissed Dragons yesterday.

Congrats on finding your new baby. That is totally awesome that they will hold the dragon for you. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The tiles with the green glue is said to be non toxic. They use it in restaurants with high heat and humidity, good luck!

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No these are for the food industry. But I know which ones you are talking about. I have seen them before.

Latest posts