• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinion on "morph" or whatever

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Someone suggested that Demani might be a leatherback. I thought I would post a few pictures, and get opinions. What say you?

uploadfromtaptalk1354868746704.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1354868769368.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1354868789060.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you, as usual, for the quick response. I noticed today that Demani's nails are clear. That means he's a hypo, right? A hypo leatherback?

uploadfromtaptalk1354918699263.jpg

All this curiosity is because of where, and how, I got him. I found it odd that Petsmart would have anything other than "regular" dragons. I've read all the stuff about different morphs, and all that, but most of it confuses me. I decided he's just a cool, special dragon. My biggest curiosity is, could I need him with my female, who appears to be just a regular dragon?

uploadfromtaptalk1354918980866.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I took Demani to an "exotic" pet store today. The owner told me he is a translucent hypo leatherback, then practically begged me to sell Demani to him. He never offered me a price, but I told him no way of the bat. He seemed quite knowledgeable about bearded dragons, in general, but his practices were flighty, at best. Cohabitation, feeding odd things, no UVB over the adult enclosure. Stuff like that. He did, however, look Demani over for a good the minutes or so. He really liked him

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Leatherbacks have reduced\smaller bumps\scales on their skin, kind of giving it the texture of leather, thus the name. But they still have 'Spikes' on their sides & beard area, as any normal BD would.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
On my most recent visit to Petsmart, I asked the manager if Demani was sold from their store, or if he was a "rescue" animal. She told me he was sold from another Petsmart, as a "fancy" bearded dragon. When I asked her how much those usually sell for, she said "about $10-$20 more than the normal ones". I was quite shocked at that, since the exotic pet store owner told me that his "market price" would be $200-$300. I guess those chain store people really don't know their stuff at all, eh?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not that, it's that they are not into the designer 'ColorLine' BDs requiring documentation.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, the first dragon appears to be a hypo leather back if those are pics of his nails. The second dragon is a normal back. You would need to know the genetics for any non visual disorders.

There are a couple different variations of leather back. They all come from the same dragon line but some do have literally no bumps. They are typically called micro scale leather backs. :) You have what i would call a reduced scale.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Ahhhh....Petsmart.....grrr....don't listen to them....as I say all the time "they don't know squat" Your dragon is beautiful....the colors are awesome!!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you Pat! The exotic pet store owner was the one who told me he was a hypo translucent leatherback. To Petsmart, he's a "fancy". See the difference? Lol.

Latest posts