• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OMG...Harley is a girl !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well everyone, Harley has his (her) first vet visit and well......Harley is a girl...not a boy as originally told to us when we resuced him (her)....

I was thinking about re-nameing her as Harleta ?? what do you think..

All in all in perfect health which we could not be happier about and we are apparently doing everything correct...and that is thanks to all of you...

Thanks !

KAJA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The same thing happened to us when we took Bernard to the vet for the first time! And we had read so much on sexing your bearded dragon, seen pictures and looked at Bernie and looked back at the pictures, just to ultimately be dead wrong.

We took Bernie to the vet because we saw some minor amounts of blood in his (her) stool. We were told not to worry because..well, it was that time..well, he was a she!

I still like Harley as a good name, regardless.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, Harley is actually Haley! Too funny. And welcome to the club, we are not alone.

As Bob said, we were pretty positive that we saw 2 bumps under his tail. Oh well. We never changed Bernard to Bernadette. He/She liked her name. ;D

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh my....well, i'm sure you will love her no matter which sex she is. harletta works for me...what about your forum name?

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh me god,what if marley is realy martha i dont no how hed take it,im not looking in to it ,it doesnt bother me but marleys a mans man and it would devastate him ;D ;D ;D

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well thank goodness I am not the only one !!

We will love her just as much...but my question now is how do females differ from males...as I did most of my research on males not females??

Thanks again for all your help.

Laurie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As far as general care, you should not have any differences. You may notice that as Harley matures, she will become less active when ovulation occurs. And as KAJA mentioned, you may find a pinkish red tint in the white part of her poo.

This is another reason we took Bernie to the herp vet. It was summer and she was not very active and not eating. That is when the herp vet concluded Bernard was Bernadette. The bloodwork confirmed it even more with high levels of calcium, which females have compared to males.

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Spike is showing more signs of being male. But i'm not exactly sure, Because when I checked his underside, he fell down, glared at me, then ran to hide behind his shell/rock/thing. I wouldn't blame him though, That's for sure. xD

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Funny you should say less active, as we have noticed Harley sleeping in her plants for hours opon hours.....when she is awake she eats and poops as normal...but we where concerned.....

We will have the blood work back today to ensure all is well with our little girl..I will keep all updated !

Take Care
Laurie

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i'm not aware of any differences in care either. when I was learning and researched gertrude's general care, i don't recall anything stipulating do this for males and this for females. other than females may lay eggs w/o male assistance. but this is typically related to lack of nutrients in their diet.

lunastic

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How many people has this happened to already, countless. :D Changing to harleta? Sounds like some sort of transgender operation thing hehe. Keep it harley, because there are lots of girls with boyish names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts