• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not sure what to call it"?

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok,

Well some of you know my Beardies name is "Critter", he's my world :) He is 9mths old and i dont have a way to weigh him?

Some of you also know that he has slept in my bed with me for the past few months........ i know i will probably get alot of grief from what I'm about to say and ask but I'm curious.

What are the pros and cons in your opinions of letting a berdie run loose?

Critter has had free roam of the house for the past two months and i think he loves it and i do too.... just to answer some questions i may receive...

Critter has,

UV bulbs and a reg bulb hanging over some pillows with towels on top of the pillows

This is mainly his routine, when i get up a 5am i turn on his light and place him under it.... at 6 am i offer his salad on his pillow well on a lid to Tupperware on the pillow.

through out the day he runs the house and will periodically go to his pillows and bask he has a hide and some fake shrubs he goes in from time to time.

he eats crickets for lunch and dinner and then offered more salad.

When the lights go out (timer) he crawls in the bed in his usual spot.

That's pretty much all of it plus or minus so other things like his bath and how he drink water etc... but this about opinions :)

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I guess the only downside would be that he could eat something he's not supposed to and you wouldn't know. So in my opinion, it sounds fine :) Just make sure he gets his baths and food and UV and make sure you have an inescapable house. Maybe invest in a leash, for when guests come over? We don't want him getting trampled or hurt now. ;)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not sure how I feel about this. It sounds like he has the proper light set up but I still somehow think he might now be getting enough UV and heat. The vivs are set up to maintain temps so that they are always at 80-110. I also worry he might eat something he should not or go somewhere he should not. One major thing that gets me is the poop. There is liquid that comes out with the poops so even if you pick up the solid part the liquid part is still going in to the carpet(if you have carpet) and in time could really start to stink. I am no where near an expert on these guys, these are just my thoughts. I do think it is sweet that you have such a good relationship with Critter and you love him so much. As far as sleeping with him, there are a few people on here that sleep with theirs. I have my dog in bed with me so how could it be any different then a lizard.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It sounds so great that he and you get along so well. Maybe to compensate for the UV you can take him outside each day for 30 mins to 1 hour to get his daily UV dose, then the only thing that I dont have a solution to is keeping him warm enough throughout the day.
Maybe someone else has an idea or two.....
Dont think mine will ever be that content and calm. I cant even take her out of the viv without a leash . . . shes a runner LOL

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As everyone stated, I have mixed feelings on this too. I know of someone who dedicated an entire room to their dragon. They strategically placed basking lamps and UV lights around the room.

Keep these things in mind. Dragons needs about10 hours of UV a day. That is artificial UV light. As Monique points out, if you take him outdoors, 30 minutes a day will suffice. Also, dragons need to be warmed up to properly digest their foods. That would be to be in 85F - 105F temps for 12-14 hours per day.

I would also take a careful look at your place. Kind of similar to baby proofing your house, but dragon proof it. Ensure there is nothing he can eat or cut himself on. Or nowhere that he can get stuck and rip off a toe or part of his tail. You also want to watch out for jumping. Dragons tend to be fearless when it comes to jumping. However, jumping from the back of a couch can be the same as a human jumping out of a 2 story window.

Latest posts