• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
My one year old beardie isn't eating for some reason. This happened a few weeks ago, but eventually I did (with help) figure out that his problem was the uvb. During that time, he would bask all day and refuse to eat, even when I tried hand feeding him. Now, he just seems to be acting like a toddler who doesnt want the food he was given. He's been hanging out all over the tank, so I'm fairly certain that it's not the uvb that's the problem. Could it be something with his greens? I've only been able to find mustard greens these past couple of weeks, so that's the only thing I've been giving him. Could he just be tired of the lack of variety in his food?

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I just purchased a Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube for him, He's only had mustard greens these past couple of weeks because it was the main salad for him I could find the most of. If he needs more variety I can purchase more to keep him happy and well. He also has been kind of reluctantly eating some when I persist with hand feeding, but he just seems like a human when we eat the same thing for dinner twice in a row. I can go out and buy some kale or collard greens if it's important for his health.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I bought a T8, I was told it was the best one for him. He hangs out about 8-10 inches below it, but he hasn't really seemed as frantic about staying in his basking spot as before.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Last time he stopped eating he refused to move from his basking spot, even for his insects every other day. The bulb is on top of the tank, but the holes in the mesh are fairly large. A few minutes ago I offered him a couple of dubia roaches, and he munched on them happily, so I really think he just wanted variety in his diet, or maybe it was something with the greens. I did notice today that he is starting to change in color, meaning he's getting ready to shed. I have read somewhere that sometimes they dont really move when shedding, as it can cause them discomfort, so would that play a factor in this? I doubt that it would be but I'm just considering every outcome here.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I will move the uvb into the tank, if it'll help keep him healthy. I'll try giving him some kale for breakfast tomorrow, just to see if he will eat them. I also realized today that I did change his sleep schedule slightly a couple days ago (previously his lights turned on from 6:30-8:30 and now they turn on from 7-10), and he has been a bit crabby since then, but would that affect his appetite?

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
I'll get stuff to position the uvb in the tank tomorrow, I doubt any pet stores are open at this time. I have no night lights in the room where his tank is, and he usually wakes seeming pretty well rested, so I dont think we need to worry about that. Like I said I'll try giving him some kale tomorrow, and see if he was just tired of having mustard greens every day for the past couple weeks, and I'll make sure to let you know if he starts eating.

Victoria Muzzarelli

Hatchling Dragon
Today I offered him some kale, and he decided to eat it, so i decided to look into what was going on with mustard greens, and it turns out the mustard greens went bad. Went out and got a fresh bundle and he seems happy with that, so I dont think there will be any more issues here. I appreciate your help

Latest posts