• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a male dragon who went into brumation pretty much a month after I bought him.

He slept for a very long time so I woke him up by turning the heat and light back on.
He's very dark and just won't eat. His skin is a bit wrinkly and he's very skittish. He sometimes tries to bite me and gets pretty aggressive. He only tried doing that once he got tired and tried to sleep haha. Could he still be sleepy? I was wondering if you could please help me. I'm desperate. I spray him with water quite regularly. If you need anymore information I will be happy to give it.

Thank you so much for your time.

krystal&otto

Bearded Dragon Egg
During brumation dragons metabolism is drastically slowed down even to a standstill so they can go long periods of time without eating or drinking. Just keep your schedule the same with lights and temps and when he is a bit awake you can bathe him every so often.

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi thanks for the reply!

It's been ages since he has eaten. Well that I have seen him eat. I woke him a while afo

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You are supposed to let hem sleep until they wake up on their own. This can be weeks, or months. By waking him you have disrupted his brumation cycle.

While he's in brumation you still want to give him weekly baths. Hold his head so that it doesn't go under the water, he may wake up a bit but want to go back to sleep.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try to let him do his own thing and disrupt him as little as possible. If he's up and moving, offer food. Make sure you always have fresh water offered at all times.

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
He had been down for about 3-4 months I believe. I was told to wake him.. Should I not have?

Really? Weekly baths? Won't that annoy them? Always being woken?

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Try to let him do his own thing and disrupt him as little as possible. If he's up and moving, offer food. Make sure you always have fresh water offered at all times.

He's up and moving (sometimes) but has no interest in anything I offer :(

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He had been down for about 3-4 months I believe. I was told to wake him.. Should I not have?

Really? Weekly baths? Won't that annoy them? Always being woken?

I don't do weekly baths. Just offer fresh water and food when he's up. If he's hungry, he'll eat. If he's thirsty, he'll drink.

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't do weekly baths. Just offer fresh water and food when he's up. If he's hungry, he'll eat. If he's thirsty, he'll drink.

Oh okay.
He's been up for a bit now. And I haven't seen him eat. I do mist him. When do I get worried about not seeing him eat?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When he starts looking thin. Offer food and remove what isn't eaten. Put greens in there if you want to leave something for when you're not around. He'll eat when he's ready

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
When he starts looking thin. Offer food and remove what isn't eaten. Put greens in there if you want to leave something for when you're not around. He'll eat when he's ready

Thank you josh! I appreciate it :)

Looking thin isn't just saggy skin right? Becaause that could just mean dehydration? I should be looking at his tail, legs and top of the head?