• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating properly for months

Laura Ramirez

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardie not eating, looking very skinny now and won’t move. About 3-4 years old now. When I first bought it wouldn’t eat and you all helped so much. Beardie has been great until now. Any help would be great. No vets available.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie not eating, looking very skinny now and won’t move. About 3-4 years old now. When I first bought it wouldn’t eat and you all helped so much. Beardie has been great until now. Any help would be great. No vets available.
Ok please get some slurry of greens into him -- collard turnips mustard or kale --- make it kinda soupy for hydration do this as soon as you can --- feed about 1 ml at first snip the tip of the syringe off of it so it doesnt plug --- see if you can get him to lick off of a spoon if not your going to haft to force feed --- you want him w/ some food in him and water --- please go over the surface basking temps what are they how are you taking them? how old is the UVB bulb? No stick ons for temp gauges please ---- has he been tested for parasites? what does the poop look like real runny have a really bad smell ? Are you feeding crickets? when was the last time he ate ?

Laura Ramirez

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok please get some slurry of greens into him -- collard turnips mustard or kale --- make it kinda soupy for hydration do this as soon as you can --- feed about 1 ml at first snip the tip of the syringe off of it so it doesnt plug --- see if you can get him to lick off of a spoon if not your going to haft to force feed --- you want him w/ some food in him and water --- please go over the surface basking temps what are they how are you taking them? how old is the UVB bulb? No stick ons for temp gauges please ---- has he been tested for parasites? what does the poop look like real runny have a really bad smell ? Are you feeding crickets? when was the last time he ate ?
I have made it for the past two days and trying to give it to him in a syringe but he wouldn’t open his mouth at all. Changed the uvb bulb about 3 weeks ago again and bathed him numerous times. I only feed him the best of the protien, Dubai roaches from Dubai.com and he was so healthy and then it hit him a few months ago and he started to slow down in eating. Not much protein just veggies . He ate some mustards greens two days ago and had a good amount of water. All yesterday and today I couldn’t get his mouth open at all. I grabbed some of the skin underneath and trying to open his mouth but it wouldn’t budge. There is no reptile vet around close and all the ones are booked for weeks. Came home right now and I think he passed away. I never seen him laying there with his mouth open. His eyes are open too . Never been so heart broken . Thank you so much for trying ti help. I still tried to squirt water and greens in his mouth but he isn’t responding. Temps were 95/-100 on basking side and where he is on the other side is 77-80’s . Thanks again and still if there is anything else I can do.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have made it for the past two days and trying to give it to him in a syringe but he wouldn’t open his mouth at all. Changed the uvb bulb about 3 weeks ago again and bathed him numerous times. I only feed him the best of the protien, Dubai roaches from Dubai.com and he was so healthy and then it hit him a few months ago and he started to slow down in eating. Not much protein just veggies . He ate some mustards greens two days ago and had a good amount of water. All yesterday and today I couldn’t get his mouth open at all. I grabbed some of the skin underneath and trying to open his mouth but it wouldn’t budge. There is no reptile vet around close and all the ones are booked for weeks. Came home right now and I think he passed away. I never seen him laying there with his mouth open. His eyes are open too . Never been so heart broken . Thank you so much for trying ti help. I still tried to squirt water and greens in his mouth but he isn’t responding. Temps were 95/-100 on basking side and where he is on the other side is 77-80’s . Thanks again and still if there is anything else I can do.
Are you sure he's dead? Does he have a black beard? Was he sporting a black beard at any time? I am so sorry it is so frustrating to not know what is going on- and having to eliminate the cause of what is going on-

Laura Ramirez

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Are you sure he's dead? Does he have a black beard? Was he sporting a black beard at any time? I am so sorry it is so frustrating to not know what is going on- and having to eliminate the cause of what is going on-
I just don’t understand how so fast. I turned him over real quick and yes it’s black, not totally black but on the mouth and then on the neck he was Lethargic earlier today but then wakes up and moves and walks a little bit then would lay back down and not move again

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just don’t understand how so fast. I turned him over real quick and yes it’s black, not totally black but on the mouth and then on the neck he was Lethargic earlier today but then wakes up and moves and walks a little bit then would lay back down and not move again
I guess I am as lost as you --- dragons hide their illness till they no longer can but the not eating is a sign of something going on - that is why we explore all avenues of why they are not eating --- usually its the incorrect surface basking temps and UVB after those are ruled out parasites are a possibility a test should be done to see if that is the cause after that blood work and x rays can be done - he could of had liver issues going on - it is just hard to say - I am so sorry -- it is heartbreaking tho --

Laura Ramirez

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I guess I am as lost as you --- dragons hide their illness till they no longer can but the not eating is a sign of something going on - that is why we explore all avenues of why they are not eating --- usually its the incorrect surface basking temps and UVB after those are ruled out parasites are a possibility a test should be done to see if that is the cause after that blood work and x rays can be done - he could of had liver issues going on - it is just hard to say - I am so sorry -- it is heartbreaking tho --
Thanks I really appreciate everything!!

Latest posts