• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

not eating again

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
Ate voraciously all summer, I was having to go score dubias every two weeks. Ate plenty of greens too. Then about a month ago he pretty much quit eating. Pooping has almost stopped, just some watery reddish-brown stuff.

I don't think I see signs of brumination, but it's hard to say how he's acting cuz he's a pretty placid dude.

Anyhow, I figure I'll take him to the vet again but thought I'd see if you folks had any suggestions.

Dennis

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have his fecal tested and see if it's a parasite infection or coccidia.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
Still not doing any better. Taking him back on Tue. Pretty much no pooping exact for a little of the white stuff. He's never very active, mostly suns himself, but seems particularly lethargic and looking skinnier.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
I've been reading more about brumation. In many ways it seems like he might just be bromating but he still sits up on his thingy and suns himself and I thought brumation led more often than not to then sorta hiding. Anybody got a beardie that suns while bromating? The reddish brown poop dots have stopped and that was the other thing that made me think it was an illness.

Still on for the vet on Tue but I hate to take him in if it's just a natural thing.

Dennis

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
He may not be long for this world. Seemed to be having trouble moving this morning, eyelids are blackish-blue. Today is the vet appointment.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
The vet at All Creatures was great and very frank, said he didn't know what to do and he recommended another vet who only does reptiles. But the end seems to be coming pretty quickly all of a sudden, not sure if I'll get him to see this other guy. Capbo was barely managing to move this morning.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
I went home today at lunch and he was looking slightly better. My wife and son had fed him this morning and we did another round while I was home. I've got an appointment with the reptile vet tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed. Man, seems like only recently he was chasing after those dubias...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He sounds like a fighter! Good luck at the reptile vet.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
Capbo has left the planet. He was barely able to move when I took him to the reptile vet. He just lay there with eyes closed, legs at whatever angle. Doctor K said there was about a 20% chance he'd be able to bring him back but advised it was far from a sure thing and would likely cost $1000-2000 in hospitalization and tests. And he had a fundamental concern about keeping the little guy alive long enough to help him.

He also didn't have a good guess as to what the underlying problem was. There was one thing he thought might be the cause but I can't recall the medical name for it, something to do with the fat cells or something.

Anyhow I opted to euthanize. Death was likely not far off.

Sigh. He was good buddie and I like to think I gave him a pretty good, albeit short, lizard life. Man, whatever got him got him pretty fast. I see I didn't start this thread until about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for all the help here.

Dennis

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry for your loss Dennis. Sometimes we try our best but it's just their time.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
Doc K did not come out and say I'd overfed him but reading between the lines maybe it wasn't wise to let him gorge on dubias this past summer to the extent that I did. He kept eating 'em so I kept throwing them in the enclosure.

Dennis

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't beat yourself up. It's hard to say no to these little guys when they are hungry.

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds like maybe parasites. See what the vet says. Good luck. Keep us updated!

Latest posts