• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to lizards and needing some quick set up info

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We just purchased a 1 yr 4 month bearded dragon. I will admit, I am ignorant when it comes to Lizards, so I am on a steep learning curve. I am at work, so limited time for research, but I printed a bunch of info off to read tonight as I want to give the new addition the best care I can. Alot of you might think...uh oh...this poor guy is in trouble...but let me know what I need...and he will get it! If I am doing something really wrong...please tell me

Hubby has had them before, but I believe, just a general knowledge.

I am going to try and post all my questions in the appropriate forums of habitat, lighting and food, any help for a quick pet store stop on the way home would be great!

This is his set up... about a 90 gallon tank... about 1.5 to 2ft wide and 4ft long? about 18in high, with a screen lid.

1.) he has a heat lamp, how long does it need to be on for each day?

2.) what is a good temp to keep the tank at? It has a dial thermometer, does it go under the light or at the other end of the tank?

3.) the pet store gave us something that looks like bark mulch... is that fine? Or, is there something he would like better?

4.) I need to buy a uvb light... what works best and do I leave it on all the time?

5.) should I be turning all the lights off at night?

6.) what can I add to the habitat to mentally stimulate him? he has a piece of wood to sit on near the light, with a spot underneath it to bury, if they do that... he has a mealy worm dish, crickets running around, a salad dish, and a water bowl big enough to go for a dip or drink out of...

question about water though... I am on well water with high sulfur and iron, can I feed him distilled water... or should it be from a tap in town(has chlorine in it)? or is the well water fine?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1.) he has a heat lamp, how long does it need to be on for each day? 12-14 hours

2.) what is a good temp to keep the tank at? It has a dial thermometer, does it go under the light or at the other end of the tank? They don't work. Get a digital thermometer. The ones with the probes so you can put the probe directly on his basking spot. For an adult the temp should be 95-105* on the basking spot.

3.) the pet store gave us something that looks like bark mulch... is that fine? Or, is there something he would like better? Substrate is heated debate. Personally I don't like particle substrates. There is always a chance they can ingest some and that can cause impaction. A non particle is always better. Paper towel, non adhesive shelf liner, ceramic tile, reptile carpet are some.4.) I need to buy a uvb light... what works best and do I leave it on all the time? the Reptisun 10.0 is a good one. Get the longest one that will fit your tank.

5.) should I be turning all the lights off at night? Yes

6.) what can I add to the habitat to mentally stimulate him? he has a piece of wood to sit on near the light, with a spot underneath it to bury, if they do that... he has a mealy worm dish, crickets running around, a salad dish, and a water bowl big enough to go for a dip or drink out of... No mealies. You can put in rocks, limbs to climb on etc.

question about water though... I am on well water with high sulfur and iron, can I feed him distilled water... or should it be from a tap in town(has chlorine in it)? or is the well water fine?
NOt sure about well water. somebody else will have to tell you about that. I used town water that was chlorinated and that was fine.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought I posted this yesterday... Oh well.

Does the water have a rotten egg smell?
If so, then boil it before use with the dragon.
Iron won't effect either way.

Hope that helps out !
Janie

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ya, I accidently double posted the question, but I also wanted to make sure I got an answer lol! Guess I will be boiling water.... oh well... have to do what you have to do!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have an RODI unit that I tend to use for house water on city water.
The waste water I tend to use for washing dishes...
It's just an idea... It also has a lovely UV tube to kill the living nasties in the supply ;)
Janie

Latest posts