• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to forum

MLincoln

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone I just got a juvenile bearded dragon last night. I am not sure if its male or female or what his age is. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have had a bearded dragon before but it's been a while. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

image.jpg

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to BDF! Congratulations of taking that leap back into BD parenthood. You've got a cute little guy there :).

MLincoln

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone. I have a quick question. How long do you recommend waiting before you handle your bd. I got mine on Saturday night and I would like to see if I can check to see if my bd is male or female so I can give a name. Thank you for your welcomes and your help is greatly appreciated.

MLincoln

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is the enclosure. It's a deluxe bearded dragon kit from Petco.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

manzeez

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you everyone. I have a quick question. How long do you recommend waiting before you handle your bd. I got mine on Saturday night and I would like to see if I can check to see if my bd is male or female so I can give a name. Thank you for your welcomes and your help is greatly appreciated.
HI mlINCOLN 3 OR 4 DAYS would be fine if he is feeding well . put your hand to see what he will do . is it your first beardie :cool:

MLincoln

Bearded Dragon Egg
Manzeez no not my first beardie but its been a while since I had one. Eating very well and I think it's a girl.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded Dragon Kits are usually inadequately\poorly equipped. The thermometers are garbage & are not suited for the application. Basking temps must be taken directly at the basking spot, not half way up the wall where your BD will never be. Digital thermometers with a remote sensor\probe are what is needed so they can be placed\attached directly on\to the basking spot to get accurate measurements (110F). A second one should also be placed at the coolest area of the enclosure (80-85F).

A water dish is not necessary, most BDs will not recognize standing water & generally will not drink from it. A water dish just raises the humidity in the enclosure. The majority of us do not provide one. They will receive ample hydration from their food, regular mistings & warm soaks.

The basking bulb & a 10.0 UVB bulb need to placed adjacent to each other as close together as possible, so both are as directly above & covering the basking spot as possible, as that is where it should be spending the majority of it's time if your temps are set up properly.

Good Luck

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BDF Community:)

HI mlINCOLN 3 OR 4 DAYS would be fine if he is feeding well . put your hand to see what he will do . is it your first beardie :cool:
Actually I wouldn't recommend handling or harassing your new little dragon any more than is absolutely necessary for the first 10 days or so that your have him. He has had a very traumatic event happen in being whisked off to a new place with strange giant people that he does not know or trust yet.
A much better approach is to be patient and give him plenty of time to acclimated to his new home. Once he settles in and starts to realize that he is in a safe place and that you aren't going to hurt him it will be much easier for your to take him to the next step which is physically handling him with out him freaking out. I would also recommend that the first few times you do handle him that it only be for very short periods of time and that you be the only person to handle him. Passing him around to different folks as well as keeping him out of his 'safe house' for extended periods initially will only stress him out. Unnecessary stress should always be at the top of the list of things to avoid as it can and will lead to them becoming ill very easily:)

Enjoy!!

Latest posts