• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New reptile?

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Originally I wanted a blue tongue skink but since my family is terrified of snakes (they think it looks too much like a snake) so I am thinking about a red-headed agamas
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438052794.930682.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438052806.709189.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438052818.148783.jpg

I'm reading up on them and trying to figure out tanks and lighting and everything and I would like to know if this website is right when they tell me about the reptile, if anyone knows.
http://www.reptilesncritters.com/red-head-agama-lizard.html
I'd really appreciate the help!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Well, next to beardeds...I would vote blue tongue skinks all the way. Matter of fact, we just brought home another bts this weekend. A baby, kind of a project...not the healthiest and really needs to put on some weight, she goes to the vet tomorrow to get checked out.
To me, they're much lower maintenance as long as you have the humidity part right, which hasn't been hard. Don't have to worry about live foods all the time, my older one would be fine without live foods but since I have them for my bearded, I always offer to her. She prefers her staple dog food with veggies though...and loves getting little scraps of whatever I eat. She was seriously shy at first but really came around in personality...very cute, endearing and silly. I think I might have thought they looked a little like snakes at first but I just don't see it anymore. I find them absolutely stunning, I just sit and stare at my older's one beauty all the time :)
I know someone who has an agama and he said they get pretty much the same care as the beardeds as far as caging, light, temps, foods. His is beautiful but very flighty and not really an interactive pet. However, I remember seeing a youtube video of one that was quite cute, so they're probably not all like his. His was the only one I ever saw in person but the personality just didn't do it for me.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well, next to beardeds...I would vote blue tongue skinks all the way. Matter of fact, we just brought home another bts this weekend. A baby, kind of a project...not the healthiest and really needs to put on some weight, she goes to the vet tomorrow to get checked out.
To me, they're much lower maintenance as long as you have the humidity part right, which hasn't been hard. Don't have to worry about live foods all the time, my older one would be fine without live foods but since I have them for my bearded, I always offer to her. She prefers her staple dog food with veggies though...and loves getting little scraps of whatever I eat. She was seriously shy at first but really came around in personality...very cute, endearing and silly. I think I might have thought they looked a little like snakes at first but I just don't see it anymore. I find them absolutely stunning, I just sit and stare at my older's one beauty all the time :)
I know someone who has an agama and he said they get pretty much the same care as the beardeds as far as caging, light, temps, foods. His is beautiful but very flighty and not really an interactive pet. However, I remember seeing a youtube video of one that was quite cute, so they're probably not all like his. His was the only one I ever saw in person but the personality just didn't do it for me.

Another one????? OMG, I hope it doesn't change the dynamic of Precious and Tequila's relationship. They are so cute together!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Yep, a new one! We went a reptile show to actually look for the white's frogs, saw lots of frogs but not the white's. Then we came along this little baby, wasn't too sure about bringing her home not looking particularly healthy but...I held her and couldn't put her down. I think it'll be a while before I can safely have her upstairs in the room with the others, she's quarantining in the basement for now.
Tequila is now Tequilo...I'm almost positive a boy now, he has these huge sagging jowls and is 3 inches longer and 75 grams heavier than Precious...and should still have some more growing to do! They still say hello to each other and hang out together for a little while but I think Tequilo kind of used Precious as a security blanket sort of. Now that he's all brave and adventurous, he's got places to go and things to explore, while Precious for the most part wants to just relax in the window or curl up on the bed.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I absolutely love blue tongue skinks and I wanted one more than anything unfortunately my parents aren't very keen on them my mother says bearded dragons are the only ones with "personality" now I know she didn't mean it in a harsh way (I've shown her a few videos of tequilo) she's just not big on snake like reptiles.
Honestly none of my family are, and that puts a bit of pressure on the fact that I want to be a herpetologist. But I only have 2 years left at home and I'd like to experiment with more different kinds of reptiles, hopefully I'll be able to take them to collage with me (fingers crossed) if not then I'd find a suitable person to take them in for me.
Other then that they looks ok to take care of and even though they're more of a show reptile, i saw something on how the more you get them used to being held the easier it gets. Plus since we're moving in ages weeks I want to try breeding crickets.
If you have any tips on breeding insects please tell me!

P.s.i can't wait to see pictures of your new skink! I'm sure it's a cutie!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
o7u64y.jpg

This is the baby. She's not as breathtaking to me as Tequilo but her coloring is pretty. Can't really capture it on camera but in person, she looks like a tiger.
2cxhyee.jpg

She's very calm but I'm not sure if that's because she's not 100% yet. Her hip bones and spine are showing and she's got all sorts of marks on her face and body. But today, she climbed right onto my hand and up to my shoulder and was either trying to play with or eat my hair lol.
a9sh1.jpg

2zxqpds.jpg

But Tequilo is still my big baby

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I'm most likely going to try pairing them up but it will be quite a while. I love that they're live bearers and I wouldn't have to worry about my girl getting egg bound or dealing with incubators. They're meraukes and I've heard it's very hard to breed them and I'd have to make them brumate. Right now, I can't imagine any of my babies brumating on me, I'll miss them too much! Precious went through the colder season without brumating but I guess I'll have to see what Tequilo does this season.
Tequilo's so funny though. I'll pick him up and tease him about his cheeks and then start kissing them and he'll just sit there, sigh and look like he's rolling his eyes lol. When I kiss him on his nose, he nudges his nose into my lips lol. He really turned into such a mush...but only with me, he never really took to my son.
We took Precious and Tequilo to a Reptile Rally at Petco and the two of them together were such a hit. My son wanted to hold his Precious and Tequilo we knew would be more calm with me. But eventually Precious wanted to be with mom too (or with Tequilo) because she went right next to Tequilo...I had them both on the same shoulder lol! Precious is so cool about everything, she's more of a show off and was so typically adorable but yet it surprised me that the people were more fascinated and interested in Tequilo, especially when he showed off his blue tongue. I guess maybe because beardeds are becoming so common/typical.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@donprec she's gorgeous! Glad to hear that Tequilo has gained more confidence, now Precious is going to need to replace him...maybe she will warm up to your son now.

@CrazyLeopardGeckoLady I don't think you can bring any pets to college with you unless you. When my niece was in college the only pet she could have was a fish in a small bowl. I was talking to a lady at Michael's the other day who's nephew had an iguana and when it was still small he couldn't have it at school so she took it in. She didn't know at the time how big they got but she was in love with it. Of course when he graduated he took it back, she was crushed.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Certain schools do allow pets, but I would assume it would have to easier to take care of pets like my leopard gecko. It really wouldn't be that bad if i can't take any of them because I would have to give fox back to his original owner (break my heart) so my parents would only be left with reptiles that eat a diet of bugs. And if they don't wanna take care of the agama then I could ask my friends step dad who adores bearded dragons, since they almost have he same care. My parents are fine with leopard geckos since they have such low maintenance and I'm pretty sure my mom will be claiming the turtle soon since she's trying to build him a big turtle lover tank.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I would be scared to bring my pets, even though I'd miss them not being with me. I remember when I was younger and went to a college party. I don't know if it was student housing or just a bunch of student's renting that house near the college. But one of the people that lived there had a dog but he wasn't home at the time. For one thing, when my friends and I walked in, the dog shot out of the door but I was able to catch him and bring him in with me. Then people were feeding him all sorts of foods that he shouldn't have been eating and they were even letting him drink some beer. Everyone seemed to think it was so funny but I didn't and I would've been furious if I was the dog's owner and found out. Anyway, we didn't stay at that party too long.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I can't say that I'd ever really go to a party or have one, I'm not a big fan of crowds and would rather be a hermit. But I see what your saying, I would be very angry if anyone did that to my animals.

Latest posts