• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New mommy and her first baby

Middy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, as so many on here before me I have gotten bitten by the beardie love-bug.

For the longest time I never considered ever having a pet reptile, being a furry pocket pet fanatic. I owned/rescued and rehabilitated rats for quite a few years, but due to family members with severe allergies have been unable to be active in the community.

I began working at a small local pet store in order to stay pet active,to get my daily dose of furry love and making sure they go to good homes is a nice plus too.

On my first day I was introduced to the reptile section and was awing over the adorable spastic bearded dragon young-ins. Each time I was entrusted in the reptile care, I found myself spending extended periods of time with the little ones. There was one in the litter that just attracted my attention and I became quite fond of the little bugga.

For the past several months I bought about 3 books and read as many care guides as the internet could offer. Thursday morning I felt brave and prepared to take the large leap into reptiles.

And I brought the little dragon home with me!

Meet my LittleFoot
IMG_20120630_163951.jpg

LittleFoot was understandably a little pouty when I first placed them in a new home. I gave them about 2 1/2 days of personal space. Last night I began giving some human interaction in small quantities with no fear or stress, strangely enough the stress marks disappeared during the handle sessions. Today I did extended interactions and LittleFoot ended up falling asleep on my hand for half an hour.

LittleFoot has been eating well and using the bathroom about every 12 hours.

There is one thing that does concern me and I don't want to just disregard it as new home jitters and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for on the internet.

LittleFoot is an active juvenile, enjoying a good sprint now and then. My concern is their activity level drops while in their enclosure. There are no stress marks anymore and I have made several adjustments that I believe were bothering them. They love to run on my bed, so I took the bulkiest hider out in order to open up the enclosure to see if they prefer more floor space, but they still just prefer their branch. LittleFoot also prefers the warmer side of the cage, spending little to no time on the other half. The heat set up is 105 at his basking spot, about 93 in the center and 76 at the coolest point. My room stays around 76-78 degrees F. There is no heat lamp in the night but I do supply a thick cloth tunnel, which they slept in one of the nights. Currently in a 20 gallon long with a basking/UVA light, a 24 hour low heat light in the center and the UVB bulb that runs along the top of more than 1/2 the enclosure.

I'm just not sure what to do currently. Everything I've found says if they spend more time on one end then there is something wrong with that half, but I can't seem to find what. I've also read that it may be preferring the warmer side to help with digestion since he does eat quite a bit throughout the day. But he does spend about 95% of his time on that one side and just wanted another opinion on what is suspected behavior for newly homed juveniles.

Thanks for reading and assisting me with my probably continuously asked questions. I'm looking forward to meeting more dragon owners and learning more about these quirky and sweet reptiles.

To end this here is LittleFoot while napping in my hand. Such a sweetheart. I can't wait until they are old enough for me to know if I have a boy or girl so I can stop calling LittleFoot "they" =D
IMG_20120702_1449022.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3.jpg

He is spending the majority of his time on the hot side & at his basking spot because that is where he should be & will spend the majority of his time there under the heat & UVB because he knows that is what he needs. Extended time outside of the enclosure is not recommended because they need their heat & UVB. They are more active when outside of the enclosure because they are a caged animal & see an opportunity to escape &\or find the heat that he needs. I would recommend bumping your temps up about 5F each. Is your UVB fixture covering the basking spot side?

Good Luck with your new addition & Congrats!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Welcome to BDF. You will find over time that your beardie knows what it needs. If he is hungry he will eat....if he is too hot he will find a cooler place. My beardie is almost NEVER on the cool side. He will sleep there but during the day is under the basking lamp. Ask away with your questions. It is what I did when I first got my beardie. You will find great people here that will help you to know and understand your little beardie....again....welcome aboard!! :D

Middy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3.jpg

He is spending the majority of his time on the hot side & at his basking spot because that is where he should be & will spend the majority of his time there under the heat & UVB because he knows that is what he needs. Extended time outside of the enclosure is not recommended because they need their heat & UVB. They are more active when outside of the enclosure because they are a caged animal & see an opportunity to escape &\or find the heat that he needs. I would recommend bumping your temps up about 5F each. Is your UVB fixture covering the basking spot side?

Good Luck with your new addition & Congrats!
Thank you!
Glad to hear that being on the basking side doesn't necessarily mean LittleFoot is neglecting or disliking the rest of the home.
I went ahead and lowered the lamp to help raise the temperature a few degrees.
The UVB bulb is the 18"ReptiSun 5.0 light and I've placed it in the central area of his enclosure to make sure it reaches both ends.
I'm being gentle with the outside time, the hand nap and bed run was the only 30 minute time period away from the environment since the the ride home on Thursday. The rest of the handling sessions have been in the enclosure with my hand placed inside and letting them walk, sit and taste with some chin rubs.
Thanks again!

Middy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to BDF. You will find over time that your beardie knows what it needs. If he is hungry he will eat....if he is too hot he will find a cooler place. My beardie is almost NEVER on the cool side. He will sleep there but during the day is under the basking lamp. Ask away with your questions. It is what I did when I first got my beardie. You will find great people here that will help you to know and understand your little beardie....again....welcome aboard!! :D

Thanks a bunch! I'm really relieved to hear that I haven't made the cooler side unattractive. It really surprised me when I read that Beardies were conscious eaters and stopped eating when full. For years I've been used to the rodents that will chow themselves obese with their greedy little appetites. XD
Thanks again, I'm already enjoying my time on the forum and my new little dragon.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB should be covering the basking spot, generally a 10.0 is recommended for BDs. Very little effective UVB will reach the floor anyway, if any at all. Your BD will have to be within 6-8 inches at the basking spot from a Repti-Sun 5.0 to receive any benefit from it. Is it above a screen? If so, even closer. It should cover as much of the basking area with the center of the bulb, that is where the most UVB is emitted. It is greatly reduced coming off the ends.

Middy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I rearranged a bit. I moved the basking branch over just a smidge so their favorite part of the tree is more in the center of the UVB light and their temps this morning are coming up 108.7 right at the favorite basking spot, 97 in the very center and 78.5 at the coolest. Currently the UVB light is a hood that sits on top of the top screen door. I want to change it into a fixture that sits inside the environment like I've seen in so many pictures, but the pet stores seem to carry only the hood version. I was going to check out A few superstores but am a little unsure of what I'm looking for, is their a brand or a store (real or online) that is recommended for the bulb fixture? I'll switch over to a 10.0 when I go to work this evening. Thanks!

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome. You came to the right site. Germ and the rest here will help you out with any and all issues. Just ask. Agin welcome and great name...i miss those cartoons

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
If you bought a fixture from the pet store I am sure you payed a lot for it and you can still mount it off your screen wit larger zip ties to bring it closer to your BD, Thats what I did and it works great. I do prefer the Acadia bulbs though because they last a year before replacement.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So would Reptisun & Reptiglo 10.0s providing they are mounted under the screen & at a decent distance from the basking spot. Your Arcadia would also have had to be changed much sooner than a year if it was mounted above the screen. If that is your reasoning, it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other ;) .

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Acadia is mounted on the inside of the screen just as I just said it is hanging on zip ties:confused:Are you always so harsh with everyone or is it just me?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:confused:Are you always so harsh with everyone or is it just me?
Not being harsh, only correcting misconceptions, you have been posting a lot of them. If you or any one else posts them & I know different, I will try to help with helpful info, to keep the info real on this forum. In this case you used the reasoning that the Arcadia is a preferable bulb in your opinion because they last longer (A year) than others, this is untrue for that reasoning, as almost all UVB bulbs have a recommended replacement of a years time by the manufacturers. The shorter recommended replacement times that we read about, is because the majority of setups have them above the screen, shortening the effective life. Arcadia Bulbs are not as common on this side of the pond, as they are in the UK, but from all the info that I have seen on them, they are a very good bulb & thankfully are recently being more & more accessible in North America.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I was going by what they told me over the phone when I spoke to them about their bulbs. Have you used them and where are your facts that what they told me is not true? Not everyone does everything the same and not everyone is right with their ways either. I know I am not always right but if it is working for me and my Reptiles which these bulbs have for 2yrs then I will stand true by them. I have owned Parrots for years ( 30 to be exact) but I certainly do not think it is my way or the highway with everyone. Maybe this forum is not for me and I might scoot along down to another more friendly one!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You are missing the point. Almost all UVB manufacturers recommend the same replacement time of one year. The Arcadia is no different. I am not saying any is better than the other, or that what they told you is untrue, simply the reasoning behind your post.

You are also reviving a dead 6 month old thread.
How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

;)

May I ask what part of the world you hail from?

Latest posts