• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon

Christian Treadway

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions. I've owned a bearded dragon about 5 years ago. It's been a while and I miss having one. So I plan one starting over and doing everything right this time around. I've been doing a lot of research. I plan on waiting till spring to buy my dragon.

I plan on building a 48"x24"x24" enclosure with sliding glass front and about 1/2 the top mesh over the basking area. Then four or five 4" vent holes in the back and one 4"x16" rectangle vent on each side. Would this be sufficient ventilation? I plan on building a 3d background into the back and one side with ledges and overhangs.I planned on doing the basking area about 12" from the ground then on the other side another ledge maybe 16" off the ground. Should I worry about it falling or jumping from that height. I just want to make sure he's close enough to the uv lights.

So here are my questions if I grout the foam for the 3d background can I grout the floor and maybe sprinkle some sand to give it texture. Or should I stick to tile or reptile carpet? As far as lighting I plan on using a 36" florescent fixture with the reptisun bulb and one large dome fixture for basking and a smaller one for nighttime heat. Would this be good for that large of an enclosure. I live in southern louisiana so it will stay hot.

My main question is, can I keep a small beardie in this size enclosure or should I keep it an a smaller enclosure till it gets bigger?

I plan on building the enclosure while I'm on Christmas break. Any advice would be appreciated with building the enclosure.

VINCENT3113

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum! Ya I would just use tile or carpet cause it would be easier on you.What I did with my baby ( well when it was a baby lol) was that I started it off with a large enclosure so I'm prepared for when my beardie gets to be an adult. I used a piece of plexi glass as a divider.You don't want to have a baby in a large enclosure because it's harder for them to catch their food. You want the dragon to have the floor space as a 10 to 20 gallon tank and keep it simple. You don't want to overdue decorating at this age so again that they can find their food easier. Your ideas sound great have fun with it!! Setting up the enclosure is the fun part besides owning a BD

Latest posts