• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon and a few questions

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Everyone!

We are the proud owners of a baby bearded dragon - Frank or Francis once we find out the sex. My son has been begging for one for his 10th birthday and we have been doing a lot of research. We went to petsmart just to look. We were admiring the babies when the associate mentioned that they had a baby up for adoption. He was missing a foot (probably bitten by a sibling). But they had taken him out of the cage and put him in isolation, given him antibiotics, and now he was happy and healthy. And free to a good home! They brought him out and my son fell in love. I know pet stores get a bad rap but I definitely give kudos to them for saving this little guy and finding him a home.

They had a super good sale on their starter kit so we purchased that since we didn't really have a lot of time to prepare. I knew we would upgrade soon since the size and lighting isn't optimal. My question is - I want to get him an Exo-terra or national geographic terrarium which opens in the front. Exo Terra has a version which is lower - 36 x 18 x 12. Should I get that one or the one that is 36 x 18 x 18? The lower one seems like it would be easier to heat and light.

Also - which UVB should I get - I know the reptisun 10.0 - but which size? And which fixture? He had the crappy coil one for now and I know that isn't good. He also has a 100 watt basking bulb during the day and the red light at night. Hope those are fine. I just want someone to tell me exactly what to buy so Frank is happy :)

The little guy is super awesome and settling in well. He was eating crickets but I just tried dubia roaches last night and be LOVED them - ate 15. He is friendly and calm and will sit on my son's shoulder already. He spends lots of time just basking away or exploring.

The missing foot doesn't seem to hinder him. Although sometimes he will hang from his log to the glass and seems to be stuck. I've seen him fall once so we are making sure to keep his log pressed up to the glass. I'll attach a pic of that along with a few others.

Other questions - any idea of age? I know he's young. He had a full shed last week if that is helpful. Also I'm assuming he is just a normal color correct?

Thanks so much for all your advice!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410204005.004239.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410204015.384670.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410204026.516110.jpg

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
12 or 18 inches in height isn't going to make a whole lot of difference since floor space is the priority and they both offer the same. That said, a front opening enclosure is incredibly convenient and I wish that I had one.

For 36" in vivarium length, I'd suggest a 24" bulb and fixture. You're pretty well stuck with the price for the bulb, but you don't have to pay pet store prices for the fixture. I bought a 24" fixture at Walmart for less than $10 - Lights of America under cabinet fixture. I mounted it inside the enclosure with Command hooks. Just make sure you take that diffuser off the fixture and put it in the trash where it belongs. :)

My setup looks like this:

uploadfromtaptalk1410205760498.jpg

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
12 or 18 inches in height isn't going to make a whole lot of difference since floor space is the priority and they both offer the same. That said, a front opening enclosure is incredibly convenient and I wish that I had one.

For 36" in vivarium length, I'd suggest a 24" bulb and fixture. You're pretty well stuck with the price for the bulb, but you don't have to pay pet store prices for the fixture. I bought a 24" fixture at Walmart for less than $10 - Lights of America under cabinet fixture. I mounted it inside the enclosure with Command hooks. Just make sure you take that diffuser off the fixture and put it in the trash where it belongs. :)

My setup looks like this:

View attachment 10126

I think an extra 6" would make a big enough difference for having something's to climb and not be touching the light source haha. all preference but I would go with the extra height just so you can have a basking spot a little higher off the ground and he can get down and away from it when he wants. Or if it's to hot for his liking up top he can just sit on the basking side still but on the ground where it may be a bit cooler.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
and it's said that bearded dragons can see the red light on night lights. If your room that the tanks in drops below 65 you will want to use a ceramic heater to keep the tank warm.

I would purchase an acurite thermometer at wal mart for like 10 dollars that you can put on the hot side and see what the temperature is at. Don't trust the round ones that are sold with the tanks. The one I have keeps track of the highest and lowest temps in the past 12 hours so I can see when I wake up how cold it got in there. It's never dropped below 75 so I don't feel the need for the night light.

I also have my heat bulb and UVB light which I believe is 24" long hooked up on a timer so they turn on at 6am and turn off at 7pm. It works great to have a set time on when lights go on and off. It's crazy Phoenix will usually fall asleep right where he is when the light shuts off. And is usually roaming his cage when I wake up at 7 so I feed him his greens then and usually put a few superworms in the greens that he will eat. Then I will feed him more worms when I get home. He's also 2 years old your baby needs more insects than greens right now. Probably no more than 2 months old if I had to guess

From what people have told me you want UVB light to be able to hit on both the basking and cool side that way he's getting what he needs even if he doesn't feel like basking. And a few caves to nap in or get shade if he also desires. Which is why I would prefer the taller tank just so you can have some things stacked creating hides and basking areas. Just my opinion.

Anyone feel free to add or correct me I'm still in the learning process as well

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I recommend the ExoTerra 36x18x18. My first one I got for a real good deal at Petsmart, it was under $150, Also, last year on Black Friday they had it for $99. I'm still kicking myself for not getting it then. Mine love the extra vertical climbing space and will typically spend their days up off the ground. Even out of their tanks they would rather be up on something then on the ground.

I have a fixture that holds a 24" bulb and I have a dome fixture for the basking light. I have my lights on the mesh and haven't had a problem. With the lights on the mesh though, you need to replace your UVB bulb more frequently because the mesh does filter out a lot of the light. You will also want your beardie to be able to get 4" from the light, where without the mesh it's more like 6-10 inches away.

A timer is a godsend! You can get them at any hardware store. A probe thermometer attached to the basking spot is good to have to monitor your temp there. You want it to be 105-110 degrees.

As far as his age, when I got mine I guessed they were about a month when I bought them. Don't worry about him being from the pet store. I got Dexter from Petsmart and Luci from Petco and have never had any issues with them. Dexter just had her first vet check up and she's perfectly healthy and she's almost 2 years old!

Also, he is fine with you right now and letting you hold him and eating, etc. Don't worry too much if in the next few days he starts to shy away from you and doesn't eat and even tries to bite. He's still settling in. He's still kinda excited about his new home right now but eventually it will hit him that "Wooo, I have a new home" and he will go through an adjustment period.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I recommend the ExoTerra 36x18x18. My first one I got for a real good deal at Petsmart, it was under $150, Also, last year on Black Friday they had it for $99. I'm still kicking myself for not getting it then. Mine love the extra vertical climbing space and will typically spend their days up off the ground. Even out of their tanks they would rather be up on something then on the ground.

I have a fixture that holds a 24" bulb and I have a dome fixture for the basking light. I have my lights on the mesh and haven't had a problem. With the lights on the mesh though, you need to replace your UVB bulb more frequently because the mesh does filter out a lot of the light. You will also want your beardie to be able to get 4" from the light, where without the mesh it's more like 6-10 inches away.

A timer is a godsend! You can get them at any hardware store. A probe thermometer attached to the basking spot is good to have to monitor your temp there. You want it to be 105-110 degrees.

As far as his age, when I got mine I guessed they were about a month when I bought them. Don't worry about him being from the pet store. I got Dexter from Petsmart and Luci from Petco and have never had any issues with them. Dexter just had her first vet check up and she's perfectly healthy and she's almost 2 years old!

Also, he is fine with you right now and letting you hold him and eating, etc. Don't worry too much if in the next few days he starts to shy away from you and doesn't eat and even tries to bite. He's still settling in. He's still kinda excited about his new home right now but eventually it will hit him that "Wooo, I have a new home" and he will go through an adjustment period.

That was icing on the cake Phoenix did that to me. The first day he was super active and curious. Then the second day he was a lot less active and didn't want out of his cage. Then after he was all about being out of his cage and then back in then back out etc haha. Now I just leave his door open when I'm home in my room and he can do his thing. (My room is beardie proof now. He can fit under the couch but that's easy to get him out)

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the advice everyone. Tyler - do you have a picture of your set up? We've had Frank for a week now and so far so good. I figure he got a lot more handling with his injury thank the other babies. But I'll try not to get my feelings hurt if he starts to get weirded out :)

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for the advice everyone. Tyler - do you have a picture of your set up? We've had Frank for a week now and so far so good. I figure he got a lot more handling with his injury thank the other babies. But I'll try not to get my feelings hurt if he starts to get weirded out :)[/QUOTE

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410214057.715653.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410214079.399623.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410214088.615517.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410214099.032274.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410214132.048754.jpg

If you're somewhat handy with your hands you can always build a wooden enclosure out out melemine wood. I think it cost me around 90 dollars for the supplies at Home Depot granted I have tools at home. I bought this one though it's 3feet by 2feet by 18" high. He seems happy with it but I really want to build a 4 or 5 foot by 2 feet by 2 feet

Glad we could help. Especially me because It feels good to know the answers to questions that I would have never known a few weeks back! This forum will be your best friend for info

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would not recommend getting the really cheap fixtures for your UV lamps. There is a reason, for once, why the pet brand ones, or more expensive ones, are worth it. The ballasts in those cheapy ones you get can reduce the output of your bulb anywhere from 5-25%. Because they are just meant for under counter situations, they are designed as cheaply as possible. They are not meant for the output requirements of a UV lamp, especially if you are having to go through screen.

To Frank, Id recommend that since you are getting the light new anyway, you go with the Reptisun 10.0 but the T5 version. The high output T5 will project much better through the screen, and the fixtures come with built in reflectors that increase the output by more than twice as much. THe T5 bulbs also last twice as long as the regular T8 bulbs, so even though the fixture is more expensive at first, they will save you money in the long run. Here is a link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+6028+25698&pcatid=25698

As for the red light, ditch it. Lizards can see it better than you or I can, so its not a great idea as it can disturb their circadian rhythm. If your room drops down below around 60-65 at night then you can get an under the tank heater or ceramic heat emitter instead.

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
I like the idea of getting the reptisun hood with a T5 10.0 bulb. So just to verify - if I go that route what size do I get for either a 36 x 18 x 18 or 36x18x12 enclosure? The 24 inch hood with 22 inch bulb?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use a 30" hood with a 24" bulb. I use the T8 bulbs....I didn't know about the T5 bulbs until recently.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
With the higher output T5 you dont really want to go more than 2/3 of the length so that the dragon has an area of no exposure if they want it. So for the 36" enclosure I would recommend the 24" hood, yes.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I overlap the uvb and the basking light because the dragon will spend lots of time basking which is also a great time to soak up some uvb rays.
Thats how nature intended.

The T5s also have a higher output so dont need to be as close to the bulb as the T8.

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wonderful! Thanks for all the advice. I will soon be purchasing an exo terra or national geographic front entry large tank with the reptisun hood and bulb. Frank will be a happy little guy (and just found out that he is indeed a male!).

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Let us know how that tank works out. I saw them in the store and thought they looked pretty neat. Certainly easy to get home!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you! And should the basking light overlap with the UVB light?

Not only do you want them to overlap, but you want them as close together as possible. Basically where its hottest should also be where they get the most UVB, just like with natural sunlight.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
I'm still new to bearded dragons, but you need to get that coil UV light out ASAP. They burn brighter than is necessary and can cause eye damage leading to permanent blindness.

Latest posts