• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie

Draco2014

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got my first beardie last Monday, the 15th. Last night I noticed he was having a hard time catching his crickets and seemed sluggish and off balance. Any advice?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What are you using for a basking light and UVB light? What are the tank temperatures?

Draco2014

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had bought a basic desert kit that has a basking light and nighttime light. The temp had been low, around 70 to 75. Today I bought a heat lamp and the temp is slightly over 80.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Unfortunately with those kits, you end up rebuying what you really need. Temps should be measured with with a digital probe right on the basking spot. The basking spot needs to be 105-110 cool side 85. At night it's ok for the whole tank to cool off to 65-70 degrees. They can see a wide spectrum of light so there should be no night time light at all. A UVB IS real important, I recommend a Repti sun 10.0 T5 fixture that covers at least 2/3 the tank.

The reason he is sluggish is most likely because it's not warm enough and there is no UVB. The UVB is needed to process D3 and the heat helps with digestion.

Draco2014

Bearded Dragon Egg
I went today and purchased a repti Sun uvb fluorescent. Right now he is in a smaller habitat since he's still small. I'm planning on getting a bigger place for him in the next couple weeks. Hopefully this will work until then. Draco thanks all for advise.

Latest posts