• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie owner.. Meet Toothless. :)

oxstardust421xo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, My name is Jessie.
I just got a bearded dragon today. I've wanted one for such a long time.... My only issue was purchasing a tank. Since those aren't the cheapest things in the world. Luckily I was searching Craig's list and came across and ad that was just posted the other day. The lady I bought him off of gave me a 40 gal. heated breeder tank and all kinds of other stuff and even a cricket keeper... :rolleyes: I purchased everything for $125.
The beardie I purchased is a year and four months old. I was nervous at first purchasing him knowing that he was already and year old and thought he wasn't going to like me. (I was dreadeding back to when I bought my cat off of my old boss. he was a year old and didn't want anything to do with me for almost a month, but now he never leaves me alone... figures... best $50 I ever spent)
anywhooo
I was able to pick him up and hold him. At first he seemed ticked off, but then soon calmed down, but I do realize I'm a different person then who he's normally with and he lives in a different house now.
I also liked the beadies because it's not a small lizard that could easly get lost... I don't think :confused: ......
She said he likes to be held a lot and loves to watch tv. :shock: TV? Does anyone else's beardie like to watch tv as well or go for car rides?
I wanted to know if there are any good books I should get to read up on.
Also what are things I need to stay away from with beardies? Like what can't they eat ect and what can they eat?
Also his tank currently doesn't have any type of sand or mulch at the bottom, which I thought they liked sand?
Is this something that I should purchase for him?
Also do you give your beardie a bath, get their nails cut and how many times a day do you feed them?
not that it fully matters now since I already purchased him, but do you think it was worth it that I purchased him being a year old? should I have just purchased a younger one? Again I'm not sure. I'm all new to this world a very excited. :)
I feel like I'm forgetting to ask something else, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me?

Also I named him toothless since the couple who had him never really gave him a name since they had a bunch of other different kinds of lizards such as a gargoyle gecko. :confused:
toothless1.jpg

Toothless. :D
Toothless.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF2.jpg

Toothless is a handsome BD. There is nothing wrong acquiring a 16 month old Dragon.

The substrate that appears to be in the enclosure is quite acceptable & should help in keeping the nails wore down, you could also provide a Rock in the enclosure to work as an emery board as it climbs on it. BDs should be given regular periodic warm soaks to help clean it up & out, help with hydration, shedding, etc.

Could you provide us with pics of your entire setup, in another thread in the relevant forum section, showing the lighting, tell us what Bulbs you are using, brand & strength, what your temperatures are, what type of thermometer you are measuring them with & what points in the enclosure you are taking your readings from, etc. So we can be familiar with your set up in order to give helpful advice.

Here are some links that you will find helpful, read them over a couple times, they will help to give you a better understanding of your new pet & it's care. Feel free to come back with any further questions.

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition List

Housing Beardies Together aka Is Bearded Co-habitation a good plan?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Hello.....Welcome to BDF!! I don't have any lizard books. I come to this forum all the time to get my information either by asking a question or reading what other people post. This is a good place to get the correct info that you need. All questions and concerns are usually answered pretty quickly which is nice. The moderators are good and other beardie owners also will help you. Read the articles that Germ sent you. There is a wealth of information there.....good luck!! :D

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Jessie! Hope you and Toothless find out lots of helpful facts. Welcome to BDF!

Latest posts