• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie mom - Help please :(

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How is the screen preventing him from getting uvb? There’s no plastic cover. But I am really having a hard time understanding how a metal, mesh screen is blocking the uvb from entering the enclorsure?
T8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen the screen blocks approx 30% of the UVB rays-- even T 5's which are stronger bulbs depending on screen haft to go inside the tank - screens act as filters T 8's need to.be unfiltered

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
It’s too high up. bD is not getting the benefits of uva/uvb
I have a cat also. I bought some metal at hardware, cut to length and drilled a couple holes. Lid is closed and uvb is about 16 in up.

Attachments

• D1EA7D08-E1BC-4730-86CA-2C63F483F875.jpeg
    D1EA7D08-E1BC-4730-86CA-2C63F483F875.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a cat also. I bought some metal at hardware, cut to length and drilled a couple holes. Lid is closed and uvb is about 16 in up.
T 8' need to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - w/ No obstruction

Kayumbo115

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok try going into the side of his mouth or have someone help and use a credit card to get in between his lips he will open - most pet stores do not carry the fixtures for T 5's- they will carry the T 8 which will need to go into.the tank--- T 8's are not as strong as the T 5- what size tank is he in?
Keep at it. I had to give my guy meds by mouth for a month. They get used to it. By the end I was putting on the end of his nose and he was licking it off. Did they run a fecal on Zeke? I had the same issues about a month after I got my beardie. He had coccidia and an upper respiratory infection. In addition to meds, I put "Bill" in a smaller enclosure and increased the temp by a few degrees which helped tremendously. He's grown almost 2 inches in 2 months since then and is now thriving. I know it's tempting to start with a large enclosure so you don't have to keep upgrading, so I put a divider in Bills habitat and he's much more comfortable. Also, and I'm no expert, but your Zeke looks younger than 4 months. Best of luck! There is always envy of great info here!
16165981424913637262961444953409.jpg

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I need some help or ideas! I bought a young beardie (his name is Zeke) at a reptile expo on the 28th of February. We estimate he's about 3 months old now. When I brought him home, he was eating fine but Wednesday of last week he started showing NO interest in any of the food offered to him. Live crickets (small-from Petco), bell pepper, mango, strawberry, blueberry, mustard greens, grapes, or carrots - he wanted none of it. I took him to the vet on Monday, he's too small for any tests to have been run on him but the vet said that he looked good. She gave me some critical care powder food. I'm supposed to mix it with water & syringe feed it to him but that's proving really hard to do. He's so tiny & apparently has GREAT jaw strength. On Wednesday this week he ate 4-5 live mealworms, which made me excited but after that, he's gone back to zero interest. He seems so weak and so tired like he just looks at the live food moving around and walks away. I only put the little water dish in the enclosure when I soak him. I figured it'd be more comfortable & less stressful for the little dude. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm running out of ideas. :(

View attachment 26362View attachment 26363View attachment 26364
Get the tune uvb light as soon as possible, reptisun 10.0, and double check your temps with a digital temp gun or digital probe. Babies need a basking spot anoit 104-110 degrees and a cool side 82-85 degrees. Good luck with him, he’s a cutie!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok it looks good --- how is he doing now? He looks alert in the pic

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
A thing to watch out for is the holes in your hammock. I really wanted one of these but read some posts that said younger beardies heads can fit through the holes & they have hung themselves or were found hanging by the neck.
Hoping your lil one is feeling better!
P.s I would find another vet!
your baby wasn't fine & a good vet would have went over husbandry to ensure his health instead of you having to go online for help

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
I had a similar experience with my beardie and what I did was just continted to offer food and eventually she began to eat it. Maybe it was moving stress but I’m not a professional so maybe get a second opinio. I also have threads on my account from her eating so if that may be helpful then you could check there. I hope he gets well soon!

Beardielove363

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie was very badly sick we took her to the vet they gave her royal canine recovery SO...
Also bathe him in strawberry Pedialyte water solution 50/50... If he wants to drink it let him the electrolytes are good for him.

Kellyf1958

Bearded Dragon Egg
The substrate at the bottom of the enclosure is a reptile carpet that came with the tank along with the driftwood piece and the food/water dishes. I bought the grey log so that he could have different spots to bask in. The lighting is a dual dome fixture. I've done some reading and I'll be getting the long tube UVB light - currently, I have a coil bulb; which I've read isn't enough.
I used critical care when Dio did the same thing. I put a credit card in between his lips on the side of his mouth and he would start chewing on it. Thats how I got his food and medicine into him. He had two different types of parasites. I also have him in a 40 gal with two long uv lights and one 125 basking. He's made it and is eating as many as 20 crickets a day and two bowls of dark green veggies.

Attachments

• 20210317_144654.jpg
    20210317_144654.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

byork1604

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sad to say, despite all the changes and efforts, my Zeke passed away yesterday... thank you all for the recommendations and help. It may be a while before I get another beardie but he was a fun pet while he was around & healthy. :(

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sad to say, despite all the changes and efforts, my Zeke passed away yesterday... thank you all for the recommendations and help. It may be a while before I get another beardie but he was a fun pet while he was around & healthy. :(
I am so sorry to hear about Zeke -- was he making any progress at all? Since you do not know exactly what was wrong w/ Zeke please make sure you sanitize everything in that tank before getting another one--- Zoo Meds Wipe Out or some Rescue disinfectant will work

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So sad to hear Zeke passed. It's heartbreaking for us all. :( Wish we could have been more help. Our thoughts are with you.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I am so sorry for your loss! Words can do nothing to ease your pain but please know that we are all heavily saddened by this news & you are in our thoughts & prayers

Latest posts