• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon help

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I got a new bearded dragon today. He is about 4 years old and lived in the same house for 2 1/2 years. He was sweet and cuddly on the way home, but when I put him in his new cage he flipped out. He has been bobbing his head really fast and pacing up and down the cage. I'm kind of scared to pick him up. I have bee petting him and he's fine with that, but when I pick him up he tries to jump out of my hands. He did hiss when I picked him up the last time. I just hope he doesn't bite. Any advise? Also, he is grey and has yellow around his eyes and a little yellow on his body. His head is pretty big and triangular shape. Does anyone have one like this that could tell me what kind he is? Thank you!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It will probably take him some time to adjust to his new home they're all different. It may take a couple of weeks or even longer. Keep petting him. In a few days try picking him up but don't take him out of his cage. Just hold on for a few seconds then put him back down. Do this for a few days. Then pick him up for longer. Slow and steady. He's scared and defensive. He needs to know you wont hurt him. I like to recommend a handkerchief. Wear it for a day so get your sent on it then put it in his new home. He will get used to your scent from the handkerchief. We all like pictures. Welcome to the forum

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He might be picking up on your anxiety. Slow down and enjoy the journey

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I started to enjoy him a lot more today and seems fine. Do you think 72 is okay at night. I read that it is but I just want to make sure

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yay! 72 is more than adequate. I believe 65 is the cold end.

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay great! I think he got darker to soak up some sun this morning. It just scared me because he's new to me and I don't want anything to happen. These guys are very important to us. Only beardie people know how it is lol! Thanks for all the help, he's doing great now :) and the idea of putting my scent in his cage was awesome! I think it actually helped alot. Happy thanksgiving. Thanks again

beardieX0

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Triton is the four year old laying on his near and dear hammock and Leo is the baby :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416895836242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416895836242.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416895924401.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416895924401.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts