• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Never goes to the cool side??

Mistergreenbeans

Bearded Dragon Egg
He never goes to the cool side?

9 month old beardie in a 120 gal. I have thermometers in the enclosure as well as a temp gun. He literally never leaves his basking spot except to eat, including sleeping there when the light is off.

Cool side is 78, warm side is 105, 110 at the highest basking point, where he stays all the time.

He has a shade spot on the hot side that he’s never used, and a hide that he can lay on top of or underneath on his cool side, along with his water dish. He comes down for food, I put his bowl right in the middle of the tank. He eats bugs and greens like a champ and is growing, so I feel like he’s healthy…

He has an LED light over the cool spot, the ceramic heat bulb is mid-hot side and then the basking bulb is right above his basking spot. He usually climbs on top of the wooden piece so he’s practically at the top of the tank.

Is it normal to never go to the cool side? Do I need to raise the ceramic bulb to something hotter? If I up the wattage on the basking bulb, will he get too hot? He’s done this his whole life, even in a smaller tank. Does it matter?
IMG_3429.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He never goes to the cool side?

9 month old beardie in a 120 gal. I have thermometers in the enclosure as well as a temp gun. He literally never leaves his basking spot except to eat, including sleeping there when the light is off.

Cool side is 78, warm side is 105, 110 at the highest basking point, where he stays all the time.

He has a shade spot on the hot side that he’s never used, and a hide that he can lay on top of or underneath on his cool side, along with his water dish. He comes down for food, I put his bowl right in the middle of the tank. He eats bugs and greens like a champ and is growing, so I feel like he’s healthy…

He has an LED light over the cool spot, the ceramic heat bulb is mid-hot side and then the basking bulb is right above his basking spot. He usually climbs on top of the wooden piece so he’s practically at the top of the tank.

Is it normal to never go to the cool side? Do I need to raise the ceramic bulb to something hotter? If I up the wattage on the basking bulb, will he get too hot? He’s done this his whole life, even in a smaller tank. Does it matter?View attachment 35343
Please get a digital probe thermometer place under the light where he is sitting to bask- get the temp it should be 95-100 --- I see stick ons only for a temp gauge- IR guns are good but can be off w/ certain materials --- digital probes are the most accurate -- the log cave looks too small -- get a probe on the cool side so you can get a ambient temp over there -- is the top a screen I cant see it and what is the brand of the UVB and bulb -- if I see the fixture it looks really short and has a coil long tube type --- if that is correct you need to get a better quality UVB - your UVB and surface basking temps are crucial for the over all health of the dragon and it seems odd hes never on the cool side of the tank - most do go to that area - mine are all over their tanks- how often does he poop and what do they look like?

Latest posts