• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice when adding a potted plant in enclosure

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
So long story short I have new bearded dragon and had one about 20 yrs ago. However my new enclosure is not bioactive or has any digging material I have zen matt and some slate on bottom. Might add fig box later when she's more mature and when it is needed to lay infertile eggs I don't plant to breed ever. So question is if wanted rotate plants how would I do this . Mainly what type soil or substrate in the pot would be safe if the bearded dragon knock it over or such. Would a clay pot work or a glazed heavier pot but what soil or sand would one use so if ever topped wouldn't harm the beardy . Hoping to plant up few smaller pots and rotate once while so she has a healthy one each day .

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ment adding a dig box . But wondering what soil medium to use thst wouldn't cause harm if besrdy got into it . Ik nothing with perilte or china's but uninsured if cactus soil (tiny stone soil and sand ) is safe or just topsoil and cococoir idk.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ment adding a dig box . But wondering what soil medium to use thst wouldn't cause harm if besrdy got into it . Ik nothing with perilte or china's but uninsured if cactus soil (tiny stone soil and sand ) is safe or just topsoil and cococoir idk.
Getting some help w/ this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ofc thanks.
Heres the reply
I'm not sure, I couldn't keep plants in my b.d. enclosures because they had great fun tearing them up and tossing the soil around. I DID have a large chameleon enclosure that I put a large hibiscus plant in , potted right from the store. The only thing I did was lightly hose off the plant itself to get rid of possible pesticides because cham would eat the flowers + leaves .

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
I don't know about bearded dragons, tortoises are my thing, but we advise to not put store bought potted plants directly into the enclosure because the plant nurseries use systemic bug poisons on the plants. Systemic means the plant takes up the poison through the roots and distributes it through the plant. If you have a store bought plant you want to use you should first take it out of the dirt , rinse off the roots and repot it in clean soil. Then wait a month or so until all the chemicals are out of the plant. It would be easier to start your own plants from seeds or cuttings.

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea , ik you don't know me or what knowledge I have so no worries. All plants I grow from untreated seeds and I also have sulcata tortoise , panther chameleon, and now new baby bearded dragon (had one 20 yrs ago) live on my property 23 yrs last month and never use chemical fertilizers or pesticides. Hydrogen peroxide or vinegar is most chemical thing ill ever use or bleach and always watered down and rised well after . I always gut load feeders ect with organic and what ice grown only. (Just backstop if anyone wants know or helps with posted responses) mainly wanting info on what ((soil sand or substrate to use in pots (inwas thinking using terracotta succulent pots (pots with no drainage holes) but unsure what mix to use inside pot (other thrn non chemical or fertilizer mix no perilite or moisture crsytals ) then growing plants from seeds and once large enough for her to nibble as she wants to maybe use those 1 to 3 inch flat round river rocks the black smooth ones to go around plants root crown and lightly water weekly and change plant pot out as its needed to new one)))

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't know about bearded dragons, tortoises are my thing, but we advise to not put store bought potted plants directly into the enclosure because the plant nurseries use systemic bug poisons on the plants. Systemic means the plant takes up the poison through the roots and distributes it through the plant. If you have a store bought plant you want to use you should first take it out of the dirt , rinse off the roots and repot it in clean soil. Then wait a month or so until all the chemicals are out of the plant. It would be easier to start your own plants from seeds or cuttings.
Yea accidently posted buy didn't reply if check next message I posted below. That's the plan just unsure what to use as soil in case she would get into the pot

lizzythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
im just kinda jumping in this conversation but does anyone know what kind of cactus i could put in my beardies enclosure?

Latest posts