• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my young beardie has been in his water dish all day

Athauf87

Bearded Dragon Egg
Normally he loves basking and he eats very hardily. i'm aware of broomation although I haven't seen an signs yet. He has spend the whole day in his water dish. I have watched him more than once reposition and I figured he was just hot and cooling off but I have never seen him ignore his food and sit in the water ALL day! the most I have seen him in it is a few minutes here and there. I took him out finally and put him in his hammock, which is his favorite basking spot, to warm up. He has repositioned himself in the hammock to get comfy, so he is moving and finding his comfy spots it is just strange to see him in his water dish for the whole day and I was afraid he would get sick if he stayed in it any longer. Is this normal, should I be concerned? I emptied his water dish for the night so he doesn't go back down and fall asleep in it again. I do keep it shallow enough that he shouldn't drown but still he will get cold if he is in there for too long.

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have never kept a water dish the cage. I do let him take baths in the sink which he likes but always wants to get out after a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's strange that he spent the whole day there. Does it look like he may be in shed?

If your boy doesn't drink from the dish, you could remove it to keep humidity levels down in the enclosure, and just give him baths a couple times a week when he's in shed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would agree take the water dish out and offer baths more frequently if you have a water lover :) It can cause too high of humidity, not good on their scales/skin to be moist all the time, it doesn't allow for them to dry and keep from getting nasties from growing on them.

Latest posts