• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Custom Enclosure

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
image.png

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Ignore the temp......that was just places in there.
I'll be happy to post the service that constructed this for me if that is allowed or reply to PMs or whatever.

This is how it is done right here. Perfect setup.

The ONLY thing I really need that is being delivered today is the proper bask branch.
That is a 50watt bask bulb you see in the picture, so the only issue is that the "branch" you see in the enclosure is actually not wood....so it is retaining heat which is a problem as you guys know. Makes it like a frying pan.....I tested it all 1st before putting my guy in there and I suggest everyone do the same.
Real wood/vine won't retain the heat. So that is the last item to put in the enclosure. Also be sure the "hide" is on the cool side....it will become an oven if under the bask bulb.

The ceramic "wood" thing(the one in the picture in the house now) worked out well however because it will allow him to get closer to the UVB as needed so he can thermo how he wants.

I'll post some more pics here also...

What do y'all think?! I'm super pumped...I waited a long time for this and researched around quite a bit!

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
So the branch in that spot doesn't cook, by not being directly under the 50w bask bulb
Can't wait till the driftwood gets in

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Great how the vents are on the 3 sides. UVB perfect in the back there and can bounce and the "wood" in there now will be pushed back a bit so he can get as close to the UVB as he wants.
Then the "cave" lol.....he slept in it last night! No acclimation time over here lol!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Just be sure his basking spot is anywhere between 102-107F
Looks like he's gonna have a good life, what's his name? If you told us already I'm sorry I've forgotten it. Nice house! Look forward to getting to know you guys☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is there a blind over the front of the tank? That's kinda neat. It looks like a nice tank, love all the ventilation.

Personally I have never been a fan of tanks like this. I don't like the heat bulb and the UVB inside the tank because I feel like it takes away space that the dragon could be using. I like to use the vertical space as much as I can. I think it's a nice tank though, it looks like it was built with the beardies needs in mind.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
I put a zoomed petrified piece of driftwood( some kind of wood)....it was for terrariums and aquariums.
It said it had been treated already and was ready to go right in.
I added it today, and will take another pic....as stated above, the other peices were retaining heat more than I wanted with this setup and wattage of basking bulb.
Now, just like an Ugg slipper he is just attacking it and biting it lol.....I'm sure it will subside but anyone seen anything like this?

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Really Patsy? This is the Kind I have seen most folks use
And definitely built for beardies specifically

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Really Patsy? This is the Kind I have seen most folks use
And definitely built for beardies specifically

I know, I never understood why they used it to make tanks. Melamine is basically just a laminate for pressed sawdust. If it's not sealed properly it's going to warp when it gets wet.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
so I was under the impression that moisture isn't a huge issue with wood cages when housing beardies?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Twinkie, is your basking light just on full power constantly or are you regulating the temps with a dimmer or microclimate controller? Even some woods can retain too much heat, I had the same problem with a large piece of cork bark. You need some way of keeping the temperature regulated and with all vents mounted high you may not have as much airflow, as hot air rises and goes out of your vents it has to pull cool air in from somewhere. Shop bought vivs have vents at the top for venting the hot and lower ones to pull in the colder air, the convection curents keep the air moving. Position basking areas off center of the basking light, where it focuses will invariably be too hot. My babies wont bask anywhere over 100c , but I offer them higher temps anyway.

Latest posts