• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie hates me..

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I've had him since the beginning of June and he was 2-3 months old when I got him. I took him out about every other day and he was mostly fine except he wanted to get away from me. Well after a month started opening his mouth when I go to pet him or take him out. He's very skiddish. He jumps at every noise. Now he opens his mouth and makes himself as big as possible when I even try to pet him. I've had reptiles before and I know how to handle them. I had 3 iguanas when I was younger. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. My friend comes over sometimes and he never reacts that way towards her. I tried hand feeding and he won't take anything from me. I really want him to like me and not be afraid. What do I do?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may have a smell he doesn't like. If you using antiseptic wash rinse your hands real well. Or the soap or a hand lotion or perfume. After you've worn a T-shirt or a scarf around your neck for a day. Put it in his tank for him to use as a bed so he gets used to your smell. No deodorant or antiperspirant please. Don't try to pick him up. Put your hand in hand slowly just up to him. If he's okay with that take your hand out slowly. Do this a few times a day. After a few days get a little closer. Repeat. Slowly touch under his chin. Repeat. And Carry on. Think good positive thoughts. Critters know when we have negative emotions. Picture a ball of sunshine. Hope this helps keep us posted

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Everything Canicke just said. Try having food like a piece of mustard green or something in your hand when you put your hands in his tank. When he opens his mouth at you put the food in. He will eventually learn that your hands mean he gets to eat. Another thing that worked for me is pet him in his tank at night when he's got sleepy eyes. His guard is down and he should let you pet him and maybe even pick him up.

Don't give up on him, he will come around eventually with patience. My little guy is still kinda skittish around me. When I go to get him out of his tank he jumps back a bit but he's stopped opening his mouth at me and hissing.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
All those things are great. Once you can touch him pick him up supporting the back feet well and put him on your chest. This makes him bond (the body heat helps alot). 5 minutes later pet him. Has worked for 4 onry dragons that I have adopted and didn't trust me yet.

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
I didn't think of smell but I'll try that. Also didn't think of the t-shirt thing but I'll definitely try that too. I'll try what you said too about slowly trying to touch him in his tank. I'm really hoping this will work. I really want him to like me but I don't want to push him. Unfortunately with the food thing he won't take it from me and he's very picky especially with greens. He won't eat if he even thinks I'm watching. I never thought of trying when he's sleepy but then he usually hides in his little cave most of the time making it hard for me to touch him in his tank without lifting the cave off of him. I've tried putting him on my chest and he immediately runs and tries to get as far away from me as possible.. I'll try everything and see what happens.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Another thing that works for me and Luci, when I put him on my chest i'll wear a sweater this way as soon as I set him on me I cover him with part of the sweater and he usually calms down and snuggles in. Otherwise he will fixate on what's going on around us and he will run away.

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I've noticed that if he's covered he's lessless likely run. I've been petting him in his tank and he seems okay but if I try to hold him, even in his tank he gets defensive.

Latest posts