• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My baby beardie wants a friend

Zach Lenners

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my baby for about 6 weeks now, he lives in a 40gal tank and is pretty spoiled. I'd like to get him a friend. Am I past the point of no return where its too late to introduce another to the tank? or can I do it with out incident? I understand that 2 males will cause problems down the road, but ive had my eye on a few females. Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NO do not get him a friend they are solitary creatures.... They really are best kept alone for a number of reasons.... 1. One will become dominant taking more of the food, taking the best basking spots. 2. They will fight no matter what you get. 3. a female introduced to a male he will mate with her to the point of death for her..

ballpythoncrazy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bearded dragons, and all other reptiles, lack the part of their brains that create bonds, friendships, and love. Even in the wild bearded dragons will steer clear of each other and only come into contact with one another for mating purposes. Putting another dragon in there will only cause competition between the two. They'll have to fight for food, warmth, UV, everything. This is usually displayed by bearded dragons "cuddling". The bearded dragon on top is showing the other one it is more dominant by shielding the other dragon from any warmth or light.
Not to mention that just ONE bearded dragon needs a 40 gallon tank to itself. You would need AT LEAST an 89 gallon tank for two, and double everything else. Double the water bowls, two separate hot spots and basking spots, double the amount of hides, you'd have to feed them separately, it would just be a huge hassle.
And, as already stated, two males will fight TO THE DEATH, a male and a female will breed non stop no matter what until whichever one dies first, and females will fight like males as well.

Your bearded dragon does not want a friend, you just want to put two dragons together for your own enjoyment.

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
Hang a healthy green from the top of the cage. Let it go down far enough so he can reach it. It may keep him occupied. You can also get a cricket feeder rock. Put crickets in it. It has a small hole they can come out of. Maybe your BD will like the hunt.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hang a healthy green from the top of the cage. Let it go down far enough so he can reach it. It may keep him occupied. You can also get a cricket feeder rock. Put crickets in it. It has a small hole they can come out of. Maybe your BD will like the hunt.

I just bought one of those today! It's called a termite hill, it's pretty cool!

I agree with the others, they are solitary creatures and do not require companionship from another beardie. They like attention from us but that's all. When you think he looks bored in his tank, that is just an emotion that we put on them. He is just fine by himself...with a little love from you :)

Zach Lenners

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys! As far as the cricket rock goes, I might just do that. I just started a roach colony today so hopefully I can stop feeding him roaches

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That cricket rock deal looks really cool!! That's a really interesting way of giving them some enrichment and a more natural way of hunting food..

Latest posts