• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving Day for Harley

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all,

So unfortunately I am moving at the end of the month...and just want to know how long Miss Harley will be able to stay away from here UV, the weather is quite warm right now so that really doesn't concern me, she will be the last one to go and the first thing set up.

Any suggestions welcome...

Thanks
Laurie & Harley

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
though it is not suggested your beardie can go without uv for a week. Main thing is to make sure that you take them out in the sunlight as much as possible just to be safe. I think you should be fine though if you do this.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What timeframe are you talking about for the move? Are you going to be w/o electricity for a bit or is this all happening in one day? If all in one day, you should not have any worries for the commute to her new home.

We moved Bernie in the winter time. My hubby had the heat blasting in his care for Bernie. We did it at night.

Ideally, it is said to move them at night. Reason being, it has the least amount of impact on them, i.e. relocation stress.

I guess my only suggestion is to make sure her viv is secure, if you plan to move her in that. Otherwise, get a travel viv. This can be a wire mesh viv used ourdoors or a tupperware container with a towel in it.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
though it is not suggested your beardie can go without uv for a week.

Hey crypticdragons. Beardies can go much longer than a week with out UVB lighting. As to how long, really depends on the persons husbandry. Primarily temps and diet.

Sixteen years ago we bought a trio of dragons. They were the first reptiles we ever used a UVB bulb with. The bulb was a coiled compact bulb. By todays standards, the bulb was junk. We never changed the bulb, and it took years for the bulb to burn out. The babies we produced (many, many, babies) never had UVB lighting. Many we raised to sub adults, and some to adults.

Back then the bulbs were recommended to better husbandry. Now, people say you need them just to keep the animals alive. This is silly and very untrue. If your basking spot is decent (115+) and you supplement D3 through diet (dusting bugs), then really, you don't have to use UVB lighting. However, I feel UVB is a good thing and should definitely be incorporated. So I'm not saying to not use UVB. I'm just saying it should supplement good husbandry. It shouldn't be the reason a dragon is alive and in good health.

UVB lighting does work, but sometimes it works for the wrong reasons. If we were to call an insufficient area of husbandry a "wound", then UVB lighting would act like a "bandaid". It wouldn't fix the problem (wound). It would simply cover it up (bandaid).

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I follow the same practice on heating as you do but i also know that beardies need UV lighting. I would guess that you took your animals out in direct sunlight. because all reptiles require uv lighting to help motabolize the calcium in their system to promote healthy bone growth. And yes that is me stating this from reading scientific research on reptiles. i would never let any of my beardies go without UV of any kind for more than a week i consider that to be iresponsible. if you see it differently than that is fine but please do not try to argue with me on it. post your opinions but post them as opinions pointed at the original poster not at myself in a argumentative stance. I will not participate in it nor will it be accepted by the mods for arguments to break out (as they have with you on other forums). Thanks just pointing that out. As i have said to you a million times if your methods work for you great but unless you have documented proof of your claims do not put them forward as fact because what we put forward as factual care is what has been proven to work by millions of keepers.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks all....I am looking at having her out for approx 5 hours max....for the UV hopfully it will be sunny that day.....and we can always heat up the car for her if needed....

We will be moving during the day though..is there anyway that we can help with the relocation stress??

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's hard to say which beardies will experience it and which ones won't. Things that can help are having her viv setup the same way that it was. Have the new location be similar to where it is today, i.e. same furniture around, high traffic area, etc.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
good luck with the move! i agree that you are moving harley within enought time that you don't have to worry about uvb. as far as relocation stress, keep her schedule the same as it has been.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey cripticdragons,

I'm sorry my post offended you. It wasn't my intention. I wasn't aware we ever debated anything.

I didn't post any opinion other than UVB lighting should be used and temps play a major role in the health of reptiles. Every thing I wrote was based on my experience. Nothing I wrote was based on stuff I read on the internet.

Beardies need UVB lighting to produce D3 naturally. I have read this too and believe it. Dragons don't need the bulb to place calcium properly if it is provided through diet. I know this too because I have done it with hundreds of baby beardies (no UVB, no sun light), many other reptiles, for years. In my opinion, calcium placement would be most needed with young, growing dragons, and with egg producing females. If dragons really "needed" UVB lighting to grow, I would of never been so successful with dragons. I don't need a scientist to tell me that dragons can complete all life events with out UVB, I know. Thats where actual hands on experience trumps things read on the internet. What scientific paper did you read that says dragons need UVB lighting to grow, and with out it they can't place oral D3?

I've been in this hobby a long time. I saw the whole transition from......theres no such thing as UVB light bulbs, to.....theres a bulb that produces UVB rays, to....UVB lighting is a good thing and should be incorporated, to......WITHOUT UVB LIGHTING YOUR DRAGON WILL DIE IN A WEEK :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i am spyder79 on other forums. and though you may not have meant it to seem as a direct stab (instead of a different view) it was typed as one by directly stating it to me. If that is not the way you intended it i do apologize. And as i said just because it works for you doesnt mean it will work for others.

And UV helps reptiles use the d3 it also helps them to produce. D3 is used in the absorption of calcium so yes UV rays aid in the use of calcium within a reptiles body. You will never find a reptile in the wild that goes without any uv exposure (unless in brumation/hibernative state) in the wild.

and i did not say your dragon will die without uv for over a week that is putting in words that are not there. i stated it is not healthy to not allow your dragon uv light for more than a week. nothing about death there.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We are leaving her tank just as it is now and will be located in the same area so I think this may help some....well I have internet until the 1st and then I will be off for a few days...though I will check in through work and give updates to all.

Again thanks for the advise !

Laurie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
she should be fine with the move. as long as you keep her very calm and secure during the move she should not experience much relocation stress at all. keep us updated and good luck

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lighting is one of the controversial topics for experienced bearded dragon owners/breeders. I am in agreement with TheVirus' statement that there are multiple ways for bearded dragons to produce D3, which is essential for the digestive process. I am also in agreement that I was unaware there was a debate occurring.

We want to encourage community oriented feedback, while keeping an open mind that there are multiple ways of handling certain issues. Everyone has their opinions and feels very strongly about them, but there is more than one right answer when it comes to bearded dragon care.

Please continue to supply feedback. However, respect other forum member's viewpoints and knowledge. Verbal combat posts are not as helpful to our members seeking community opinions/advice. Posts of this nature may misdirect the originating question and get off track to helping out the member seeking advice. And quite honestly, I have received feedback from numerous members that is the reason they enjoy the forum.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and correspondence.
Renee

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just chiming in that your move is a relatively small one on the time out of the tank. So you should be fine. I would set up the tank as close to as it was as possible and that will also reduce stress. I only traveled a few hours with one of my dragons and He just kinda hung out and took in the view.

Latest posts