• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Misting/Bath Question....

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I was misting Aries 1-2 times a day depending on if he was shedding. I did this for about 3 weeks when I got him. Now it's a bath every other day and misting every other day. Been that way for almost 2 weeks now. So here is my question (nothing health wise is wrong with Aries FYI also), do I need to reduce his bathing or misting? He is currently about 12" long and 12 weeks old.

The reason why I'm asking is I don't want to risk any respiratory problems in the future. The only thing I worry about (and shouldn't) is if he is getting enough water ingestion? I know he is because his poo's have liquid in it...

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Mate, water is not natural to a bearded dragon. This obsession with beardies and baths I have never understood. By all means you can bath then a couple times a month. This would be purely for hydration reasons, or assisting with stubborn shed. For hydration in the bath they might not drink from the mouth. Often they take fluid through the vent area. This is because the sparse water they come across in their natural habitat is often stagnate water, and taking in the vent is the healthier option rather then passing through stomach etc via the mouth. So apart from that it's honestly not needed. And they should get all the fluids from your still hydrated and loaded live food and juicy veg. And misting can cause respiratory infections, so not a good idea.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I wasn't misting or bathing for hydration reasons. I apologize for not being clear. Aries has a bit hard time shedding. He is growing 1 inch per week and his shed is almost continuous. I probably get 2-3 days of seeing his real beauty before he starts dulling out and shed once again.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thats cool, I get ya mate. As you seem to know, a bath or 2 does aid shedding. But have you actually let the shed run its course to see if all is ok?. They deal with these thing a lot better than you would think.
If your going to mist tho, do it outside of the viv. As inside the viv will greatly increase respiratory infection risks.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unsure where you got the info about misting causing respiratory issues, but it is a crock. One of the main reasons to mist is for hydration, so they can lick the droplets off of their nose if they are thirsty, so yes, the head should be misted, if misting at all.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I'm confused now.... I will mist everything as I see fit. Too many people saying it's bad or it's good. My BD is healthy, hydrated because I do gut load my live feeders and I do bathe him properly. Never mind their thread.... I apologize Germ. Got the info from people here. I don't recall the name and it was in a conversation. Sorry Guvnor, but Australia (BD's natural habitat) is surrounded by water! I'm sure somewhere on the island of Australia, BD's come into contact with a continuous source of water. Not all of Australia is desert either. My parents have been there. How do you think animals such like the kangaroos survive the "desert" heat? There are water sources.

Last edited:

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I bath my Bearded Dragon in the sink every morning for about 5 minutes only so he can go to the bathroom. I have been doing this for at least the last six months and he is just fine. He never goes to the bathroom in his cage now which makes cleaning really easy. I do not keep a water dish in his cage. He gets all the water he needs from his food.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, I don't keep any water in Aries' enclosure either. When Aries gets his baths, he get's misted on his head too, just remembered that I do mist his head because it's not like he is going to dunk his head under the water. LOL. I like it when he poops in his bath, you are right... it's easier to clean up.

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You don't have to mist him while he is bathing. They can take water in through their vent while in the water.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wasn't misting or bathing for hydration reasons. I apologize for not being clear. Aries has a bit hard time shedding. He is growing 1 inch per week and his shed is almost continuous. I probably get 2-3 days of seeing his real beauty before he starts dulling out and shed once again.

Unfortunately, at that age you will never get to see their full body one vibrant color. They are always going to be shedding and everything gets shed separate, tail, head, body. Once they finish the cycle starts all over again. It doesn't necessarily mean they are having a problem shedding, it just means you have yourself a healthy growing dragon! Give him a few more months and the sheds should slow down and you can enjoy his real beauty :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I bath my Bearded Dragon in the sink every morning for about 5 minutes only so he can go to the bathroom. I have been doing this for at least the last six months and he is just fine. He never goes to the bathroom in his cage now which makes cleaning really easy. I do not keep a water dish in his cage. He gets all the water he needs from his food.

Good to know Dexter isn't the only one! She used to go all the time in her tank and then all the sudden would only go in the tub! I do full bath once a week and then a quick soak mid week so she can poop. It's funny to see her go in the tub, she kinda runs away from it with her tail up and her back legs frozen so she doesn't touch it, like she's grossed out by it!

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Draco is the same way with his poop. He'll go in his tank if he has to but then he runs away from it and stares me down till I clean it out. Silly Dragons!

Latest posts