• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mercury Bulbs - Please Help

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I have several questions about Mercury bulbs, particularly the Solar Glow ones manufactured by Exo Terra, that no amount of research has answered.
1. How do I place it so that the entire terrarium receives UVB?
2. Are they safe and efficient for adult beardies?
3. How do you control their temperatures?
4. What do I do at night? Switch to a nighttime bulb? The Solar Glow bulbs emit light when in use.
5. How high up from the basking spot (or wherever I put it) should it be placed?

If anyone has answers or links, that would be great!
I'm asking because I am currently deciding on what light/heater to buy my beardie, and the descriptions provided for Mercury bulbs in general are rubbish.

StinkyLizrd

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I use a ZooMed Repti Sun 10.0 (18in) in my enclosure. I made a DIY T8 Fixture so my Beardie can get ALL the UVB. You want to make sure the whole enclosure gets lit up with the UVB so no matter what side your Beardie chills in, she/he will get the required UVB she needs. I definitely recommend these over the Solar Glo since you have more control over them.
You want a UVB Fluorescent Bulb and a Basking Bulb. They both stay on for 11-12 hours minimum. At night you can turn both off. Mine turn off at 8:00pm and turn on at 8:30am.Don’t cheap out on stuff, it’s always better to spend a little more. UVB is Critical for bone health/growth! Hope this helps! If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask!
838277F7-3E45-4C38-AC0B-84418E4C0687.jpeg

Latest posts